Open Carry OK HB1414

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heres my question though, As I hold the Utah Non Resident, is the new bill going to allow us to carry open inside Oklahoma or will it be for Oklahoma resident permits only? I would assume that as long as the state recognizes an out of state permit that person could carry open in the state

As the bill is now written, your assumption is correct.
To do otherwise would make an enforcement nightmare.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Signed it!

He can't sign a bill that hasn't passed both chambers yet.

Rep. Ritze most likely meant that he expects enough support from the House that there should be little debate as to whether the version amended by the Senate should go to the Governor.

It is not Engrossed to the House until after April 26. It is also not on the calendar for that day.

That means you need to call, email, or visit your Representative and MAKE SURE they know how to vote.

todd740

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Governor signed a senate bill relating to the length of time the State has to issue the permits, this bill is still making it's way through the house and senate

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well boys and girls, I talked to a couple of ORA board members today.

This bill has passed both houses and now sits on the governor's desk! Now for the bad news, at least as I understand it. The NRA and the ORA have basically taken a neutral position on this. As I heard it there was three different ways they could have done this bill, and naturally they picked the $sh!tiest way. What I THINK I heard was that the bill that has passed will amend the current SDA. So only holders of SDA permits will be allowed to open carry.

The two guys I talked to are personally against this thing passing and they have at least one pretty compelling reason and probably more. One of their fears is that the amount of places and businesses that are posted and have no weapons policies will drastically increase. Another is that this might actually make us lose the SDA law altogether because the number of arrests for carrying in a posted place will go through the roof. (I'm thinking that there may now be legislated penalties for carrying in a private place of business that's posted, though I can't confirm that now as I've not read this 77 page bill).

These guys have YEARS of experience under the gas filled dome and working with our legislature on getting pro gun bills passed. I personally have to yield to their experience and give them the "benefit of doubt" and join them in opposition to this until we can get a better bill passed. They DO know how things work down there.

Regardless they told me to call, email, etc. and express my position whatever it is either for or against tomorrow. I would urge everyone to do the same.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This bill has passed both houses and now sits on the governor's desk!

Give me a reliable source. The only reliable source I have says that the Senate amended version has NOT even been on the floor of the House yet, and will not be until after Monday. Monday is the earliest that the bill can be considered by the House, and it did not make the calendar.

(I'm thinking that there may now be legislated penalties for carrying in a private place of business that's posted, though I can't confirm that now as I've not read this 77 page bill).

Not the one I read that passed the Senate.

The one that passed the Senate adds "or unconcealed" to nearly every instance of "concealed" and defines "unconcealed" as in a holster, scabbard, or case designed for carrying firearms.

thayton

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

This bill has passed both houses and now sits on the governor's desk! Now for the bad news, at least as I understand it. The NRA and the ORA have basically taken a neutral position on this. As I heard it there was three different ways they could have done this bill, and naturally they picked the $sh!tiest way. What I THINK I heard was that the bill that has passed will amend the current SDA. So only holders of SDA permits will be allowed to open carry.

The two guys I talked to are personally against this thing passing and they have at least one pretty compelling reason and probably more. One of their fears is that the amount of places and businesses that are posted and have no weapons policies will drastically increase. Another is that this might actually make us lose the SDA law altogether because the number of arrests for carrying in a posted place will go through the roof. (I'm thinking that there may now be legislated penalties for carrying in a private place of business that's posted, though I can't confirm that now as I've not read this 77 page bill).

These guys have YEARS of experience under the gas filled dome and working with our legislature on getting pro gun bills passed. I personally have to yield to their experience and give them the "benefit of doubt" and join them in opposition to this until we can get a better bill passed. They DO know how things work down there.

Regardless they told me to call, email, etc. and express my position whatever it is either for or against tomorrow. I would urge everyone to do the same.

You might want to read the bill, I really don't care what the NRA and ORA think. We should take what we can get.

Latest posts

Top Bottom