Opinion: Best Duck Gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Duck Gun?

• Winchester SX3

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Remington 11-87

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Mossberg 935

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 31 73.8%

• Total voters

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Being as those options are quite limited, I am going to have to go with the Mossberg. My waterfowl gun is an 835 and I am very pleased with it. I am pretty rough on it, it is always muddy and wet. I like a pump action as it tends not to encounter as many mechanical problems as a semi when it is below freezing. But there are other people that will say the complete opposite. Another advantage for the 935 is you can shoot 3 1/2's on geese. I don't bother with "pretty" guns when waterfowling, those are for upland hunting. I prefer synthetics. Whatever you choose, be comfortable with it and make sure it fits you.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted other. I shoot an 870 SuperMag. I've seen too many semi-autos fail to operate in the field. Now they all functioned correctly more than they failed, but I still just trust my old pump gun.

I've seen firsthand the following semi-autos have some sort of a problem in the field: Benelli SBE 2, Rem 11-87 and 1100, Stoeger M2000, Mossberg 935.

I'm not saying this is guaranteed to happen or put down those that choose to shoot a semi-auto. I'm just telling you what I have seen. I have also seen those very guns perform flawlessly on trips.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a second pump gun for duck hunting as well. Been looking at the Benelli SuperNova (so light) and the Browning BPS.

Haven't yet fondled a BPS but I sure like the looks of it.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a second pump gun for duck hunting as well. Been looking at the Benelli SuperNova (so light) and the Browning BPS.

Haven't yet fondled a BPS but I sure like the looks of it.

BPS is pretty heavy. My 12ga is a little lighter than my 10ga.

Latest posts

Top Bottom