Opinion: Best Duck Gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Duck Gun?

• Winchester SX3

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Remington 11-87

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Mossberg 935

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 31 73.8%

• Total voters

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Citori O/U, or a Weatherby Athena D'Italia Side By Side Shotgun. I don't do a whole lot of duck hunting, although I'm getting into it more. These are my upland guns that are normally used for quail or pheasant.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the Nova eventhough it's probably the toughest gun I've tried to destroy. It's got to be the worst as far as comfort, shouldering and plain shootability.

i couldn't agree more. I like slim guns that shoulder easy. I have tried to find things about this gun that I like, and there are none. I am sure it is good for a bunch of people but it is the polar opposite of what works for me. I have a Franchi Variomax 912, a beretta 390, and a Remington 870 that I duck hunt with. They are all nice and slim and easy to handle for me.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also use an 870 with a 26" barrel. I took my benelli duck hunting once and I thought that if the boat tipped over I would die trying to get my shotgun out of that freezing water. I've since decided that a duck gun must be capable of being used as a paddle. It has to be able to stand being thrown from the place I'm standing to the shore and any other abuse that might be necessary. I've been thinking about trading for a Nova, but the 870 will do just fine.

Ha Ha, I really liked this, because I have almost been in the same situation. Bottom line is to use what you shoot best. I grew up with an old 870 mod choke. Traded it for a 1100. After two hunts, traded back for my 870 at a loss. I had been so used to firing with the jacking time to get focused on the next shot my muscle memory of firing sequence actually slowed me down to remember I could just pull the trigger again. I guess I used the jacking to follow to my next shot. I also tried a lighter shotgun one time, same type of thing, I would over shoot my lead. May be it is just me, but if you have something you are familiar with feel wise, the other brand whizzo do whicky that shoots the same shell might not give you that much of an advantage unless you shoot it a lot and get very used to it.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i couldn't agree more. I like slim guns that shoulder easy. I have tried to find things about this gun that I like, and there are none. I am sure it is good for a bunch of people but it is the polar opposite of what works for me. I have a Franchi Variomax 912, a beretta 390, and a Remington 870 that I duck hunt with. They are all nice and slim and easy to handle for me.

The thing I like most about it is that it's tough and very simple. Only like 6 parts to the whole gun.
My biggest problem is how it shoulders, even thinking about it I can not pull it up without looking over the barrel. I have to physically stop and force myself to rotate my head down to be able to see down it. Not a good thing when your bird hunting having to make quick shots. I've missed many of ducks by shooting over them cause my head was over the barrel.
But you can take that dang gun, use it as a boat ore, break ice with it and hammer t-posts into the ground and it'll keep on shoot'n LOL

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The thing I like most about it is that it's tough and very simple. Only like 6 parts to the whole gun.
My biggest problem is how it shoulders, even thinking about it I can not pull it up without looking over the barrel. I have to physically stop and force myself to rotate my head down to be able to see down it. Not a good thing when your bird hunting having to make quick shots. I've missed many of ducks by shooting over them cause my head was over the barrel.
But you can take that dang gun, use it as a boat ore, break ice with it and hammer t-posts into the ground and it'll keep on shoot'n LOL

Only 3 pieces to an O/U:) And one of them you could do without if you had too

Last edited:

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nova has to be the worst gun I have ever hunted with.

My vote is for the Mossberg 835 (only because that is what I use). Here are the finer points:

1. cheap
2. doubles as a boat oar and ice skim
3. cheap
4. shoots 3.5's
5. cheap
6. doubles as a makeshift hammer.
7. cheap
8. So loud that it puts your blindmates into a fetal position (holding their ears) thus allowing you to get off extra shots at fleeing fowl.
9. cheap

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i voted other. i hunted with an 11-87 for years. used to rinse it out in the pond to keep it functioning after laying in the goose dcoys(field hunting). bought a benelli m2 field a few years back and love it.

Tumbleweed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am in the minority for waterfowl hunters. I like semi autos. I have an 1100 that I have had for almost 20 years and have taken anything from squirrels to deer with it. The only time i had trouble with it was my fault for slacking on PM. My wife bought me an Extrema 2 this year, but I haven't gotten to go duck hunting with it yet. I think I'm going to really like it though, it's crazy light and swings good for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom