Optic for .308 in AR platfrom

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will be getting my .308 AR pretty soon and need to figure out what optics I want. I had picked up a Aimpoint M4 but it ended up on the AR in 5.56mm. The Aimpoint M2 that was on the AR in 5.56mm is now on the PARA FAL. So I have been thinking that a red dot/optic is the way to go. I have been looking at different makes and models and came to the conclusion that 1-4x, 2.5-10x, or 4-16x is all viable. I am really leaning towards the 2.5-10x for the ability for longer shots since my .308 will be a 16" carbine.

What do you guys have and what is the +'s and -"s? What is your line of thinking on this situation?

Thanks

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it depends on your intended usage. The Bushnell 1-6.5x might be nice. That would give you the ability to go true 1x for close work but also mag up for reaching out to longer distances. You should be able to bang 8" steel all day long at 300 yards unmagnified, like with an Eotech. How far do you plan on shooting?

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a .308 AR and went with a 2.5-10x Vortex Viper PST and really like it on the rifle. At the lowest power I can even shoot with both eyes open and at 10x I shoot out as far as I want.

OkieTac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Eotech 512XR308 w/ 3x FTS magnifier on my RRA LAR-8 Elite Operator carbine. With the 16" barrel, I find that the 3x magnification combined with the Eotech's ranging dots reticule is perfect for that weapon and barrel length. I used that setup to harvest a 5x5 bull elk at ~235 yards across a ravine last year. I can also hit steel at 700 yards with it all day. Conversely, If I'm chasing piggies in the brush, I flip the 3x to the side and go heads up. I never worry about not being able to squeeze one off quick enough that way.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To answer the question what I plan on doing with this rig, I am not sure what the real distance will be but probably 400 yds and under most of the time. I am thinking that the idea of a 2-7x might be good too. I just like the idea of a true 1x and a rds and magnification but a scope will help tired eyes.......keep it coming guys.

abbazabba73

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i put an ior spartan 3-12x36 on my ar10 and ,imho, its a little better than perfect!! ive only sighted it in at 100 but am gonna find out just how good this setup is this weekend on my place shooting steel at powerline poles on the right of way going thru my place out to bout 1200 yds. picked up the scope for a grand on gb, only had been mounted once. it retails for round 1500.00 or so. as far as a 2-7 power, i put a burris e1 on my custom 10-22 and at 50 yards, im touching bullets. i have 1-4 burris glass and 1-4 ior pitbull, id recommend both damn near equally for what they are even though theres a huge price difference. View attachment 20995

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

TenBears

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
unertl2.jpg

Im sure ill miss my unertl 10x it was a nail driver on the M40A1, but bills are more important? so i had to put it up for sale today

T

ThomasA

Ditch the burris 1-4x over the Vortex PST 1-4x. The burris ain't got nothin on the vortex. And the vortex is cheaper, too. If you're looking to spend a little more, Vortex just came out with the Razor HD 1-6. The Bushnell 1-6.5x is identically priced (and not surprisngly so, since vortex is starting to rule the market), but honestly, I would still lean in favor of the vortex. The razor HD series are in use by guys in the field and these things can seriously take a beating. Vortex has also mastered a true 1x on their low power variables. It's really something to experience for yourself. Their CS transfers to non-original buyers. And from personal experience is second to none with a no questions asked policy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom