Racism at OU

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These are not mutually exclusive. Dropping classes and withdrawing means you no longer go there, at least through the end of the term. Expulsion means you've also been barred from ever attending there. You can, in theory, expel a student enrolled in 0 credit hours.

There's really no such thing as a sealed bus when they're a university sanctioned group meeting with another university group (the sorority attending the mixer, also on the bus) on their way to a university-sanctioned event. It'd be like saying an athlete could say whatever they want at halftime in the locker room, or a professor saying it to a department head while in a faculty meeting, or the landscaping crew chanting while working on the boiler at the physical plant. In all those instances, it's university business based on their collective affiliation with university and the capacity in which they are meeting.

Like it or not, the idea of a student group acting in this matter is far worse than the actions of an individual.

The right of the KKK to burn crosses has been protected by the SCOTUS, as has the right of Westboro to do what they do. Hate speech is protected, period. The 1st amendment forbids the government from punishing hate speech.

You don't think the fact that they were enclosed in a bus is significant? Seriously? Is it your contention that the people who feel that the OU campus was transformed into a hostile environment were on the bus? Are you saying that they heard the chants as they took place? I only ask because the SCOTUS has deemed that hate speech is not protected when it incites imminent violence.

Agreed, it is worse that a whole group did this. But if the KKK and Westboro are protected, why isn't this group?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely. His first responsibility is to protect the university. And he's done it as well as can be done. He immediately started separating the university from the act. He condemned the cancer and cut it out.

Say what you will about the man, he is a brilliant politician and knows how to keep money coming in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed, it is worse that a whole group did this. But if the KKK and Westboro are protected, why isn't this group.

Oh, probably because the KKK and Westboro aren't sanctioned by a state school that receives federal funds.

These kids are more than free to start a Patriot's ****** Hating Club.

They just aren't welcome to use their fraternity as they were at a public university.

Free speech does not mean what a lot of people think it does. Go tell your employee you're tired of looking their *slur* ass and see what happens if they pursue it.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, probably because the KKK and Westboro aren't sanctioned by a state school that receives federal funds.

They just aren't welcome to use their fraternity as they were at a public university.

Bingo.

It doesn't matter so much if they were in a bus, a sealed bank vault, or on Shadow Moutain burning a cross. Whenever they're assembled and acting as the group sponsored by the university, they're subject to the rules they agreed to. The permitted existence of such a group can be considered hostile even if sung away from blacks.

How about we start a college club Law Students for Hatin' Negros. Not a frat with cheeky songs but a group that admits to marginalizing other races. If OU considered the SAEs chant protected speech then they'd have their hand forced to approve the existence of Law Students for Hatin' Negros. It's an absurd example but to the point.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dear Mr. sh00ter, you have met your match in your stubbornness and tenacity for arguing this into oblivion. We can agree these guys were stupid for their chant.

Anything beyond that, whether it's free speech, lawsuits, privacy, ISIS or the football team is just beating a dead horse. I'll kick it as long as you want or until a mod locks the thread.

So dig your heels in and tell the rest of OSA you're gonna argue senseless points. Even Tim McVeigh had a Lawyer.

invoking Tim McVeigh is every bit as ridiculous as me invoking ISIS don't you think? There...we agree :)

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely. His first responsibility is to protect the university. And he's done it as well as can be done. He immediately started separating the university from the act. He condemned the cancer and cut it out.

He is trying to stop the income loss to the University. It was Junior day last Saturday and all the potential recruits were there! Can you imagine the financial loss in tickets sales, bowl games, etc if Boren didn't act? It is about M-O-N-E-Y; otherwise he'd not risk the lawsuit.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Free speech does not mean what a lot of people think it does. Go tell your employee you're tired of looking their *slur* ass and see what happens if they pursue it.

Why keep saying the N-word over and over and over again? Is there some veiled satisfaction that since some dumb ass punks said it that now you get to say it without scrutiny? If you are appalled by what they said, then why partake in the same behavior? I know the context is different but damn, once would have been enough don't you think? I believe you that you are upset, but there are black people that would tell you the same thing as me at this point. I am not offended but I am intrigued. I would not seek to silence you but remind you that this sealed forum is more public than that bus ever should have been. I wish we could say anything without worrying about offending people.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was actively proving a point to the reverse racism believers in the thread that think white people get crucified for using "that word" or being politically incorrect and who stupidly compare that racist chant to rap lyrics.

White racists get backlash for being hateful assholes, not for words and phrases.

A word means nothing without context. Those frat boys could have looked straight into the camera and said "that word" 10 times in a row and they wouldn't be famous right now. They also could have sung it in a song, or rapped it, and not been famous right now.

Last edited:

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was actively proving a point to the reverse racism believers in the thread that think white people get crucified for using "that word" or being politically incorrect and who stupidly compare that racist chant to rap lyrics.

White racists get backlash for being hateful assholes, not for words and phrases.

A word means nothing without context. Those frat boys could have looked straight into the camera and said "that word" 10 times in a row and they wouldn't be famous right now. They also could have sung it in a song, or rapped it, and not been famous right now.

well I've always heard and been told that "that word" applies to people of all races. It morphed from something people called blacks to demean them into both a term of endearment and an insult for a thug (including white); and this was supposedly based on context. So maybe you are onto something but I just choose to flush it rather than try to sort out the context. Even if you said it in what YOU thought was an acceptable context, there would be race baiters to hound you so I recommend dumping it from your vocab. You know what's in your heart...even some lurking here that have been watching this story and this thread but chose not to speak up know what's in their heart; whether they have said it or not. That's my opinion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom