Racism at the University of Oklahoma...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as people of color, any color for that matter, continue to demand entitlements, preferential treatments and subsidies they will in essence be promoting racism.

I don't support any racist action, racist organization or racist business but, IDAF about those that keep crying 'racist' either. You want to know who is really behind this 'everything is racist' push ... the same people that are behind almost every evil thing in this world, Progressive Communists and the PRESS. These progressive communists come in every skin color there is. It is their plan to divide us and start a fight between us.

As an American with Native American/Scot blood my mind is made up, no one is ever going change it and whoever tries should take a moment to pray first.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Racism is to a large degree based on the sad history of slavery in this country. While the practice of slavery was (and still is in some places) a world wide thing, practiced by cultures all over the planet, in the United States, the institution of slavery was the enslavement of blacks by whites. And it happened not that long ago, when you think about it. For many of the older folks here, who were born in the 40’s, 50’s or 60’s...slavery was abolished less than 100 years, just few generations, before we were born.

We grew up with the harsh after-effects of it too. We grew up thinking blacks were inferior. We were actually taught that the they were. That explained to me why there were separate bathrooms, drinking fountains, and places to eat. It made sense to me that that was why they had to sit in the back. Maybe it explained to them the same thing? Many may have grown up feeling disadvantaged because they were black. My own father grudgingly accepted blacks having some equal rights, not all, probably only because he had to. He referred to them by using the N-word. And it wasn’t necessarily a derogatory term, not as much as it is today, because to him, that’s simply what they were: N-words. So many, probably most of us from that time grew up in a segregated world.

I remember the sit-in at Katz drug store led by a young black woman named Clara Luper. I remember what my parents and aunts and uncles said about it too. It was all negative, all “racist”; a new term, to my young ears. And I was there when forced bussing happened here in Oklahoma. Oh Lord, did we resist it? Yes. Did we fight with the black kids who suddenly, became students at my high school, when neither they nor we wanted them to be? Yes. Did both sides behave like animals towards one another? Yes. Did we call the black kids the N-word word and start fights and crap with them simply because they were black? Yes. Why? I can’t answer that for everyone, but for me, it was because my parents; my own old dad told me I should be pissed off because those N-word people think they are just as good as us. (White people).

It wasn’t until I joined the Marines, right when I had just turned 19, still a boy, still poopin’ high school chow, not quite yet able to be called a man, that I was thrown together with black recruits and expected to behave as if we were all on the same level and all on the same team. I imagine the culture shock of having us white boys as squad mates was also a shock to them. Acceptance did not come easy. But the Drill Instructors told us that racist crap DID NOT belong in his Marine Corps, by God. He told us there were dark green Marines and there were light green Marines. Period. Over time, we all changed. In a few short weeks, we began to set skin color aside and began to accept each other for our abilities. Abilities to run, lift, march, shoot, to be squared away, to be Marines. We aspired to that goal, worked toward it, we all just wanted to earn the Eagle Globe and Anchor. Poof! Years of hate; washed away by the most influential man I had ever met up to that time. A young Marine Corps Sergeant named Delaney. He was one mean, tough SOB. He was old Corps; a proud NCO who took turds like us and turned us into Marines in those short weeks he had us. He used to shake his head and say stuff like, I can’t believe the **** birds the recruiters are taking these days...how am I supposed to turn you hogs into Marines? I’m a Drill Instructor, not a G. D. Magician!” (Some 10 -12 years later, he actually worked under my command when I was a Captain and he was a Master Sergeant, but that’s another story).

So that was a long story, but maybe it illccustrates us older guys’ perception of racism somewhat. It is not something that has even around that long. When my dad was on active duty in WW II, he did not have blacks in his outfits. A generation later, we DID. Now our kids and their kids will still be exposed to it, to racism, but it slowly grows older in our history, the memories of slavery grown colder in time. Will it ever go away? I don’t think so, I think that human beings, at least some, will react and behave negatively towards each other based on one of the dumbest of characteristics: skin color. I would rather we reacted in that manner based on say: character.

Perhaps character is just not as easily determined as skin color though. Does that explain it? Probably not.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My experience has been there is no group more racist than blacks. Why does OU even have a black students group? Is there a white students group? I’m pretty sure MLK is rolling over in his grave at some of the behavior of some blacks. OU is quick to jump on the black discrimination blame game. I remember Stoops walking hand in hand with black players after the party bus incident.

It’s 2019, who gives a crap what race someone is. Stand up and be proud of who you are. Work hard to become what you want to be. Skin color shouldn’t matter and be a reason for discrimination or special treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with most of this but OU doesn't own this, OSU, TU etc all have them. There's probably a "black" student's group in a vast majority of Universities out there, just like several other race or religious based groups.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Racism is to a large degree based on the sad history of slavery in this country. While the practice of slavery was (and still is in some places) a world wide thing, practiced by cultures all over the planet, in the United States, the institution of slavery was the enslavement of blacks by whites. And it happened not that long ago, when you think about it. For many of the older folks here, who were born in the 40’s, 50’s or 60’s...slavery was abolished less than 100 years, just few generations, before we were born.

We grew up with the harsh after-effects of it too. We grew up thinking blacks were inferior. We were actually taught that the they were. That explained to me why there were separate bathrooms, drinking fountains, and places to eat. It made sense to me that that was why they had to sit in the back. Maybe it explained to them the same thing? Many may have grown up feeling disadvantaged because they were black. My own father grudgingly accepted blacks having some equal rights, not all, probably only because he had to. He referred to them by using the N-word. And it wasn’t necessarily a derogatory term, not as much as it is today, because to him, that’s simply what they were: N-words. So many, probably most of us from that time grew up in a segregated world.

I remember the sit-in at Katz drug store led by a young black woman named Clara Luper. I remember what my parents and aunts and uncles said about it too. It was all negative, all “racist”; a new term, to my young ears. And I was there when forced bussing happened here in Oklahoma. Oh Lord, did we resist it? Yes. Did we fight with the black kids who suddenly, became students at my high school, when neither they nor we wanted them to be? Yes. Did both sides behave like animals towards one another? Yes. Did we call the black kids the N-word word and start fights and crap with them simply because they were black? Yes. Why? I can’t answer that for everyone, but for me, it was because my parents; my own old dad told me I should be pissed off because those N-word people think they are just as good as us. (White people).

It wasn’t until I joined the Marines, right when I had just turned 19, still a boy, still poopin’ high school chow, not quite yet able to be called a man, that I was thrown together with black recruits and expected to behave as if we were all on the same level and all on the same team. I imagine the culture shock of having us white boys as squad mates was also a shock to them. Acceptance did not come easy. But the Drill Instructors told us that racist crap DID NOT belong in his Marine Corps, by God. He told us there were dark green Marines and there were light green Marines. Period. Over time, we all changed. In a few short weeks, we began to set skin color aside and began to accept each other for our abilities. Abilities to run, lift, march, shoot, to be squared away, to be Marines. We aspired to that goal, worked toward it, we all just wanted to earn the Eagle Globe and Anchor. Poof! Years of hate; washed away by the most influential man I had ever met up to that time. A young Marine Corps Sergeant named Delaney. He was one mean, tough SOB. He was old Corps; a proud NCO who took turds like us and turned us into Marines in those short weeks he had us. He used to shake his head and say stuff like, I can’t believe the **** birds the recruiters are taking these days...how am I supposed to turn you hogs into Marines? I’m a Drill Instructor, not a G. D. Magician!” (Some 10 -12 years later, he actually worked under my command when I was a Captain and he was a Master Sergeant, but that’s another story).

So that was a long story, but maybe it illccustrates us older guys’ perception of racism somewhat. It is not something that has even around that long. When my dad was on active duty in WW II, he did not have blacks in his outfits. A generation later, we DID. Now our kids and their kids will still be exposed to it, to racism, but it slowly grows older in our history, the memories of slavery grown colder in time. Will it ever go away? I don’t think so, I think that human beings, at least some, will react and behave negatively towards each other based on one of the dumbest of characteristics: skin color. I would rather we reacted in that manner based on say: character.

Perhaps character is just not as easily determined as skin color though. Does that explain it? Probably not.
In fairness you were in highschool before my dad had his first hard on , that being said this had changed dramatically by the 90’s when I graduated high school. We accepted you based on who you were color didn’t matter. If you sucked ...you sucked which ever color you happened to be. If you were cool you were cool regardless of color

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's fine to have a black student club, group, etc. there really are issues that only black, Native American, Vietnamese, and on and on, can relate to, and help each other handle. But, we have individuals, of every type, that don't like the other groups. It isn't the university's responsibility to make that go away. These two girls were called out on their actions, they apologized, they were required to leave OU, and will carry that with them for an really long time. Having continuing meetings and other gatherings only aggravates the issue.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My experience has been there is no group more racist than blacks
t

Groups aren't racist, individuals are. We keep trying to change groups and all that does is make those individuals that are racist even more so. When an individual does something wrong, they should be called on it and suffer whatever the appropriate conquences are, and the rest of us should double our effort to not be like that person.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of what we now refer to as "racism" is natural; people will naturally gravitate to their "own", when allowed to do so. And there is nothing wrong with that. It's just that whites have been brow-beaten into believing that they should be ashamed of that, and that any advocacy for any cause that addresses issues affecting whites, and doesn't include advocating for other races makes them a "white supremacist" or "Nazi". It's absurd. For the record, the traditional definition of racism has to do with superiority and subjugation of one race over another. Now, it pretty much applies only to whites who show any signs of being racially aware. If you look at the majority of cases of some crybaby accusing someone of "racism" , it's typically one white accusing another. It's these crybabies that irritate me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom