Show your bike thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eich

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Peace Officer Edition Road King

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v636_eich_0740686_R1_044_20A.jpg

MP43

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's awesome.:thumb: Where does one find one of those? Anybody know approximately how much a similar set up would cost?

Thanks for the positive comments. CJs are tons of fun for what they are, but I wouldn't want one for my only bike. They're more maintenance-intensive than a modern bike (although so simple that it isn't much of a chore), and its not as if you can run down to the corner dealer when you need parts. That really isn't a big deal either, since bearings, fasteners, etc. are all commonly available parts, a lot of older BMW stuff will fit, and there are businesses in China (where they still build bikes like this) that are happy to ship parts to the US.
The main issue is lack of speed. They come geared low for sidecar duty, and the sidevalve engines can't rev real high, so it tops out about 55 mph. Its actually pretty peppy getting up to that speed, but you're still pretty much limited to around town and rural two-lanes. It's just too top-speed limited for interstate duty, or long trips, unless you've got plenty of time. Since they're shaft drive, changing the gearing for higher top speed isn't as simple as swapping a sprocket. But the higher speed gears are available, if you're sufficiently ambitious.
Some of the newer CJs have updates such as 12 volt ignition and electric start, there's even an overhead valve version. Those are a little faster, but basically they're all still pretty slow, by modern standards. But very handy and fun, when used within their limits.

I picked this one up from an estate in Guthrie about a dozen years ago. I've tracked it back to one of ten or so imported by some guys in Oregon in the early nineties. About 5 years ago there was an outfit in Broken Arrow selling Changs, but I don't think they're still around.

Russian Urals are based on the same BMW design, and old (40's-50's) ones are virtually identical to a CJ. But have been greatly modified over the years. You can buy modern Urals that are EPA/DOT certified, and come with a warranty and dealer support, but they don't share much but the basic layout with a CJ anymore.

CJs are pretty much grey market, generally imported by individuals in small quantities. If they're old enough, like mine, they're exempt from most of the federal regs. Newer CJs are typically imported as "kit" bikes for the user to assemble and register.

Changs that are already in the States turn up on eBay periodically, and in the ads section of this site: http://www.changjiangunlimited.com/

You can find a TON of CJ750 info there. From what I understand, they can be picked up as Army surplus in China pretty much dirt cheap. Like $1,200.00 or so for a nice one. But then you have to hassle with importation. You shouldn't have to pay more than 5 grand for one that's already here, unless its a real primo example.

A couple of CJs in their native habitat. As you can tell by the second pic, they were still in use by the Chinese military at least as late as 2006:

ai182.photobucket.com_albums_x192_cj750_Chang_20Jiang_06_0605_Xitek203.jpg

ai182.photobucket.com_albums_x192_cj750_Chang_20Jiang_06_1027_Xitek2012.jpg

Jay

Latest posts

Top Bottom