Skull Cleaning explained.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Due to popular demand... I'm starting a thread here about cleaning skulls!

There are 4 different ways to clean a skull without loosing teeth or the entire skull thanks to wild critters.

Dermestid Beetles: Probably the most heard of since the beetles do all the work. They are good for really small skulls and can be used for entire skeletons because you can remove the skull/bones before the cartilage is eaten. They will eat any flesh and can/will eat carpet, leather, etc... if they get out. They have to be kept in a specific temperature range and like with any "pet", their enclosure substrate must be changed occasionally. They also stink to an extent.

Boiling: This has got to be the most common way for the DIY'er. It is pretty quick and only stinks for a short amount of time. I find it no fun because if I am playing with something hot, I always find a way to burn myself. Boiling has ill effects on skulls especially teeth. The heat can crack teeth with canines being the easiest to crack. Boiling can shrink the skull some and actually sets the fat farther into the bone (which will cause your skull to be yellow in spots).

Simmering: This is pretty close to boiling, but if done correctly can work. Correctly is finding a temperature that removes the meat, brains, and all other gunk from the skull with minimal damage to the bone and teeth. Canine teeth can and will crack on occasion with this method. If done too hot, it will also set the fat farther in the bone.

Maceration: This is the method I use. It by far is the nastiest, but is very thorough. Maceration is allowing bacteria (in a controlled environment) to eat the flesh, brains, and remaining gunk off the skull. In a sense, it is similar to jungle rot. The flesh is turned into a nasty ooze and has a smell that you can never forget! You're loved ones and neighbors will definitely notice you have something dead lingering around and may involuntarily dry heave. Anyways, All the cartilage is dissolved and all teeth fall out. Maceration also begins removing fat from on/in the bone.

Wow, I got carried away! :soapbox:

Tomorrow, I do plan to take some pictures of a "nature" cleaned badger skull to compare against mine.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maceration: This is the method I use. It by far is the nastiest, but is very thorough. Maceration is allowing bacteria (in a controlled environment) to eat the flesh, brains, and remaining gunk off the skull. In a sense, it is similar to jungle rot. The flesh is turned into a nasty ooze and has a smell that you can never forget! You're loved ones and neighbors will definitely notice you have something dead lingering around and may involuntarily dry heave. Anyways, All the cartilage is dissolved and all teeth fall out. Maceration also begins removing fat from on/in the bone.
This made me not want to ever clean a skull.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maceration: This is the method I use. It by far is the nastiest, but is very thorough.

Can you give some details that you use on this method? Used to, I would just stake a skull to an ant bed and let the ants do the work. They would do a fair job, but still left some work for me. I use the simmering method now and it works pretty well. If I can't boil the skull right away, I throw it in the freezer until I am ready. This eliminates any stank. I made the mistake my first time of letting it get a little rotten, then boiling it. I do not advise this! If you boil it fresh or frozen, it is just like cookin up a big pot of stew and actually kinda makes me salivate a little. After I boil all the meat and brains out, I let the skull dry, then bleach it using peroxide that you get at a beauty supply store. Usually takes three or four coats, especially on hog skulls. There is usually more fat on them that works further into the skull as you mentioned. After a few coats of peroxide it bleaches out the bones pretty well.

TEXAN_OKIE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've done 2 by Maceration 1 hog head we put it in a plastic bucket drilled holes in it so the flies could get in and let the maggots do their thing. the 2 i put in trash bag just dont seal it to tight so the flies can get in. oh make sure u skin the skull they get done quicker

badaugherty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maceration works great for hog heads. Pretty nasty running through the strainer for loose teeth though. One thing that needs to be mentioned is degreasing and this can take time and will make the difference in the quality of your mount.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've done 2 by Maceration 1 hog head we put it in a plastic bucket drilled holes in it so the flies could get in and let the maggots do their thing. the 2 i put in trash bag just dont seal it to tight so the flies can get in. oh make sure u skin the skull they get done quicker

See...I can handle the nasty soup that the rotting flesh makes, but maggots go too far. I can't handle maggots.

r00s7a, I soak them in warm buckets for 2-4 weeks depending how stubborn the flesh and brains want to be. Usually they are a bare skull within 3 weeks.

And yes...digging teeth out of the goop is pretty interesting.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay...I said yesterday I would post pictures up of a comparison between the coyote skull which I cleaned, degreased and whitened and a badger skull which was found then whitened (which is basically leaving them out to let the bugs, ants, etc... to eat at it).

The coyote....

ai39.photobucket.com_albums_e186_tslabaugh_Skulls_completed.jpg

ai39.photobucket.com_albums_e186_tslabaugh_Skulls_completedexample.jpg

The Badger....

ai39.photobucket.com_albums_e186_tslabaugh_Skulls_example.jpg

ai39.photobucket.com_albums_e186_tslabaugh_Skulls_mouthopen.jpg

The badger skull is stained with oklahoma's lovely red dirt and it will NOT come out. It is also missing teeth, and I consider myself really luck to find the teeth that I did. If it would have been anything but a badger...I would have not been able to locate the bottom jaw as their bottom jaw is nearly impossible to remove from the socket.

JimmyC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome Skulls!

You know there is another method... I just send/take it to Skullsunlimited.

They did a whitetail buck for me last year (European mount) and it turned out great. Just dropped off the head with the skin and fur still on it and got it back a couple months later. Looked great! It cost a little but it's a lot less than a shoulder mount. Perfect for those not so boone and crocket bucks but still worthy of a mount. Very reasonable prices on small animal skulls too, and no smell to deal with...

Not affiliated with the company at all, just a satisfied cusotmer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom