Small Corn Patches, and Corn Suggestions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So, I don't have a huge area to garden, the area behind my house is about 20x30. With 6 kids plus my wife and I, we could do the whole garden in corn and probably not have much left to freeze. I wanted to do some corn though, just because I love to eat it. Last year this is what I did, took about two feet right off the back of my house (faces south and gets full sun all day) and planted about 16 short rows of corn. They were fairly close, but since you didn't need to walk between rows I didn't think it would be a problem. Here is the one pic I have of this area. I figured 16 rows of corn, 4 plants per row, 2 ears per plant, I could get 128 ears of corn, (best case scenario) and that's not bad for an area that's hard to do much else with right?

I think my main mistake was I planted two seeds per hole, in case one didn't sprout. Well, most of them sprouted, and they were so tight that I was afraid to thin them out. I know corn has to pollinate by wind, hence why square areas work better, my logic here was that having the house behind them, the wind would swirl or bounce off the house, and the corn would pollinate ok. I also tried to pollinate some by hand, since it's a fairly small area.

I did get a decent amount of corn, no where near the 100+ I was hoping for, but we got some, and boy was it good! I used a Kandy Korn hybrid, and it was very sweet, I ate more raw than cooked I think. My dad has suggested I try Bodacious Sweet corn, he said he often gets 3 ears per stalk.

Anyone else try to do corn in small areas? what success have you had? any tips for what I am trying?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you did everything mostly right. Your yield may have been smaller than expected because of over crowding, and corn needs copious amounts of nitrogen fertilizer.
Take a $10 soil sample and send it to OSU. Write in that your planting corn. They will come back with a recommendation for the proper amounts of fertilizer and other soil amendments if required.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have read that if you fertilize lightly and regularly (or use lots and lots of compost) that you can plant corn closer than what you did and get pretty good results. Let me see if I can find the link I saw ... (It was last year and I thought I saved it but not seeing it on my desktop now ... :( )

I want to try corn but we have squirrels out the wazzoo in this neighborhood ... I generally have several corn stalks that come up amongst my other plantings because the squirrels will plant corn from the feeder on the other side of the fence ... Honestly, I haven't tried because I was afraid it would just fail miserably and I'd be pissed at myself ... But you have given me hope ... I may try this in the front where there are no easy hiding spots for them. The cats around the front (I feed the cats on the front porch) generally keep the squirrels out of my front yard ... Hmmmm ...

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have read that if you fertilize lightly and regularly (or use lots and lots of compost) that you can plant corn closer than what you did and get pretty good results. Let me see if I can find the link I saw ... (It was last year and I thought I saved it but not seeing it on my desktop now ... :( )

I want to try corn but we have squirrels out the wazzoo in this neighborhood ... I generally have several corn stalks that come up amongst my other plantings because the squirrels will plant corn from the feeder on the other side of the fence ... Honestly, I haven't tried because I was afraid it would just fail miserably and I'd be pissed at myself ... But you have given me hope ... I may try this in the front where there are no easy hiding spots for them. The cats around the front (I feed the cats on the front porch) generally keep the squirrels out of my front yard ... Hmmmm ...

Nonesense, put the corn in the back yard and buy a nice pellet gun! You might get some corn, but you WILL get a source of protein from your corn!

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nonesense, put the corn in the back yard and buy a nice pellet gun! You might get some corn, but you WILL get a source of protein from your corn!

LOL ... you know, I might be worrying about nuthin' ... That "new" dog? The one that followed Nero and me home from the lake last month? Yeah ... well, Nero will lay on the patio and watch the squirrels run around and play in the backyard. Dog?? Oh ... not Dog! He goes ape-**** everytime he even hears a squirrel up in the neighbor's trees ... that hang over my fenceline into my backyard ... He might be a good corn "guard" dog ... :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom