Thanks to the mods for giving us watch dorks a safe space....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well at least the watch guys quit calling it an iwatch. I’d love to have a nice Rolex and have a couple of decent watches but the Apple Watch is very convenient and does a lot of stuff besides tell time and date. Kind of distracting sometimes but a great invention.
Tells you when its time to Eat and go Poop!!

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Tells you when its time to Eat and go Poop!!
And you can talk on it like Dick Tracy. Ain’t nothing as nice as a good old automatic watch but for a nerd like me Apple Watch is pretty cool. I got the new Seiko 38 mm watch in this week and it looked like it had been stamped out of pot metal. They don’t make them like they used to. It’s on the way back. I still want a nice luxury watch before I turn 70 so I can impress all the ladies at the old folks home. Got 3 years left to find one.

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And you can talk on it like Dick Tracy. Ain’t nothing as nice as a good old automatic watch but for a nerd like me Apple Watch is pretty cool. I got the new Seiko 38 mm watch in this week and it looked like it had been stamped out of pot metal. They don’t make them like they used to. It’s on the way back. I still want a nice luxury watch before I turn 70 so I can impress all the ladies at the old folks home. Got 3 years left to find one.
Get a Breitling Bentley…that way those old eyes can see it

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, I drive an ass load of miles every day. Like ~75k per year so I listen to podcasts regularly. I subscribe to about a dozen shows. Are there any watch shows anyone listens to?

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At least a mechanical watch can't track me and display my position within 9 feet to anyone and many are immune to emp. If I want that there are devices that hook to the bracelet. After 5 years a a $350 wristwatch is will be worth more than a New Apple watches the old Apple watch which will be sold for $10 at a garage sale and the new owner will find it's incompatible with their current iPhone. With kids if I leave a 5 year old mechanical watch to them, they'll appreciate it. Leave a 5 year old Apple watch to your kid's and they'll say what a luddite.

Some watches like Omega or Rolex or even Seiko's can be an investment that appreciates in value. The Apple watch price drops like a stone the minute you sync it to your phone. I do not see a gray market for Apple Watches.

Wear an Omega Moonwatch, Rolex or a nice Seiko to church, a social or a business event it is much more impressive and conversational than an Apple Watch.

Personally, I think smartwatches are a symbol of the disposability of the modern lifestyle. Paul Newman's Rolex went up for sale and brought 17 million, if he had an apple watch I suspect it would bring more than a comparable Apple watch, but not much more.

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got a Tissot PRX :D

https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-us/t1374101109100.html
Never worn, tried it on once and couldn't close the clasp. $275

At least a mechanical watch can't track me and display my position within 9 feet to anyone and many are immune to emp. If I want that there are devices that hook to the bracelet. After 5 years a a $350 wristwatch is will be worth more than a New Apple watches the old Apple watch which will be sold for $10 at a garage sale and the new owner will find it's incompatible with their current iPhone. With kids if I leave a 5 year old mechanical watch to them, they'll appreciate it. Leave a 5 year old Apple watch to your kid's and they'll say what a luddite.

Some watches like Omega or Rolex or even Seiko's can be an investment that appreciates in value. The Apple watch price drops like a stone the minute you sync it to your phone. I do not see a gray market for Apple Watches.

Wear an Omega Moonwatch, Rolex or a nice Seiko to church, a social or a business event it is much more impressive and conversational than an Apple Watch.

Personally, I think smartwatches are a symbol of the disposability of the modern lifestyle. Paul Newman's Rolex went up for sale and brought 17 million, if he had an apple watch I suspect it would bring more than a comparable Apple watch, but not much more.
Would the Daytona still be in production today if not for Paul Newman? Or would it not be as sought after? What if Janice, Jimmy and Morrison had all been wearing a Daytona when they died rather than a white Bic in their left pocket at age 29? Honestly, disregard that last line of total BS, but I really don’t think the Daytona would’ve survived if not for Newman.

Latest posts

Top Bottom