The general public and OC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ill answer your question ..if you will answer mine...because its my Responsibility!
My question is....Why are you not responsible enough to try to defend yourself..do you think someone else should do it?

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm - maybe something like, "My friend bet me I wouldn't have the nerve to do it. But now that I've been doing it for awhile it's not bad. I carried concealed for x years, but open carry is different. Do you think carrying a gun is paranoid? Obviously I don't. Want to know why? - When you need a cop really badly, they aren't going to get there for 10 or 15 minutes at the least and maybe you even be able to call them at all."

I'm not planning to open carry, but I can see some real 2A educational benefits for the public from seeing people carrying guns.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a general rule, Cops only arrive on the scene to investigate crimes after they occur and 'try' to make arrests... they don't prevent crime. My weapon on-the-other-hand has the great potential of preventing a major felony crime... namely, the serious injury or death of my family or myself.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I probably wont ever be 'openly' open carrying par se, but I also wont be trying hard to conceal anymore- because I wont have to after November 1st 2012- thus I will basically be semi-open carrying and most likely will print. Alot. If someone was to ask me anything about it I more than likely will access the person and their attitude, how they asked, and what they asked and then gauge my answer accordingly. I'm not anticipating that happening though once people get used to it. Its also none of their damn business either so I might just be a dick about it.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If someone asks, instead of being a jack-hole about it, you can use it as an opportunity to try and educate the uneducated.

If they're all ready an anti, their hatred will only ben enflamed by a smart-assed reply. A kind, instructive reply will fly in the face of their preconcieved notions about firearms owners and may just make them think about it.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If someone asks, instead of being a jack-hole about it, you can use it as an opportunity to try and educate the uneducated.

If they're all ready an anti, their hatred will only ben enflamed by a smart-assed reply. A kind, instructive reply will fly in the face of their preconcieved notions about firearms owners and may just make them think about it.
I agree with this.

A smart ass answer will confirm an anti's already-low opinion of us and could very likely cause someone who is 'on the fence' about guns to turn against us. A simple 'I am carrying to both protect myself, and to show that folks who carry are not to be feared by those who choose to not exercise their right.' might very-well be the best approach.

Like I have said here before, I don't intend to OC except on my farm.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If someone asks, instead of being a jack-hole about it, you can use it as an opportunity to try and educate the uneducated. ... A kind, instructive reply will fly in the face of their preconceived notions about firearms owners and may just make them think about it.

Word.

In summer / spring, "it's much more comfortable in this heat." A low-key, normalizing reply.

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I intend to OC on occasion, what use is a freedom gained if its not used? I do want to have a couple of decent answers for the curious public that I am betting will want to know why we want to carry a gun.

I am thinking we will have more trouble out of Law Enforcement and businesses that do not like the fact that we are armed than we will out of the general public, but i am sure there will be those that just want to know more.

I don't want to alienate a possible ally to our cause in the general public, so I will try to be respectful and courteous unless the person asking is being an ass, in which case I will most likely say have a nice day and walk away.

Thanks for the posts guys, have given me a lot to ponder.

Latest posts

Top Bottom