Underrated SHTF Items

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Grass clippings, leaves....it doesn't take 5 years. Get all the leaves you can, dump them in garden, run over them with a mower, till them in. Fish heads, bones from cleaning, etc...all good stuff. Too much chicken manure will make it too hot if you're not careful. A jar of dirt to your county extension agent will tell you exactly what you need.

DON'T put any meat / fat / bone / grease in your compost. Other kitchen leftovers, grass clippings, leaves, shredded newspaper, chicken / rabbit / horse recycled matter works GREAT. The MEAT products work but will greatly increase the odiferous nature of your pile. The biggest contributor to cooking the compost is your dry to moist matter ratio. Too dry add a little water, too wet add some dirt or newspapers.

Dakota Safe

Marksman
Reaction score
As far as the Hygiene section of your stash. Some items people look over are Poison Ivy lotions, anti-itch medication (Vagisil being the best you can get for this such use, having anywhere from 5% to 20% more of the anti itch medication in it than ANY other anit-itch labeled ointment), Having a young daughter and wife, female pads are a must and for gods sake don't forget anti diarrhea medication to either stave it off or stop all together, god knows what the hell you will have to eat when the SHTF and what kind of poison ivy, bug infested woods you will have to trek through to get it.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think all women should store back a moon cup or similar device. Or learn to make your own washables. Im not a fan of that idea AT ALL, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think all women should store back a moon cup or similar device. Or learn to make your own washables. Im not a fan of that idea AT ALL, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

GAWD, I am so glad those days are behind me ... I better throw in a couple dozen of those plastic dividers they use in notebooks though ... to use for fans! Cuz it sure is HAWT up in here! :D

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GAWD, I am so glad those days are behind me ... I better throw in a couple dozen of those plastic dividers they use in notebooks though ... to use for fans! Cuz it sure is HAWT up in here! :D

I can't wait for those days to be behind me! but I do have younguns' who have a ways to go. seriously though who the heck can pack away all those boxes of pads and tampons I guess you could go to sams and buy bulk to last a year... I've read they are useful for all kinds of stuff though, Pads for wound dressings and tampons for firestarter material etc

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't wait for those days to be behind me! but I do have younguns' who have a ways to go. seriously though who the heck can pack away all those boxes of pads and tampons I guess you could go to sams and buy bulk to last a year... I've read they are useful for all kinds of stuff though, Pads for wound dressings and tampons for firestarter material etc

I remember reading that many women used to use moss as pads. I guess it would have to be dried and I am sure the ladies would prefer it bug free.

Latest posts

Top Bottom