Underrated SHTF Items

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sounds like my grandpa was the effing man. He built a big@$$ barn and filled it with seemingly useless junk just for us kids to clean later.... I know what he was doing.... Now to take care of the other grand kids before they take away the loot! Winner winner chicken dinner!

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If people need TP, some enterprising person will make TP. The economy doesn't just go away when the SHTF. I believe that entrepreneurialism will soften the blow of any disaster.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If people need TP, some enterprising person will make TP. The economy doesn't just go away when the SHTF. I believe that entrepreneurialism will soften the blow of any disaster.

Very good point. The current economy may collapse, but all trade and economy will not cease. Folks tend to forget that.

Is it good to be able to store and/or produce food? Sure it is, but if you have a black thumb you can prepare in other ways.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very good point. The current economy may collapse, but all trade and economy will not cease. Folks tend to forget that.

Is it good to be able to store and/or produce food? Sure it is, but if you have a black thumb you can prepare in other ways.

And THANK GAWD! for that ... because BOTH my thumbs are black ... black to the bone ... :( **sigh**

CARode99705

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How about a good quality folding shovel. Y'all might want a cedar shaving bucket but most of the world drops bombs in holes. Not to mention shovels come in handy for foxholes.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rat traps tethered to a tree by paracord... Big rat traps baited will catch and kill animals up to and a little bigger than opossums, raccoons, fox etc. Trapping food is easier than hunting it, and rat traps are about as light and humain as it gets. Also if your near a river or lake same concept with yoyo reels.

I have video of them not even killing squirrels, I put them around our deer feeders thinking they would kill squirrels but they did not. The traps would always be set off but nothing in them, they were snapping on the squirrel and then it pulled itself free and ran off, I was so sure that would work, haha. You're not going to kill a coon with a rat trap, I can promise you that, I have seen them stay alive with a 110 conibear around their head.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have video of them not even killing squirrels, I put them around our deer feeders thinking they would kill squirrels but they did not. The traps would always be set off but nothing in them, they were snapping on the squirrel and then it pulled itself free and ran off, I was so sure that would work, haha. You're not going to kill a coon with a rat trap, I can promise you that, I have seen them stay alive with a 110 conibear around their head.

No kidding ... Nor a possum ... Unless you get a really lucky snap ...

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hmmm maybe you could store seeds for a bartering situation?

LOL ... maybe ... because based on how my garden is going this year that's about all they are gonna be good for! :D (Good thing for me the neighbor 2 doors down is a Master Gardener. :naughty:)

I've read that it take 5 years for the typical garden plot to start producing with any kind of consistency. I dunno if that's really true or if they just said it to keep people from giving up ... So ... I'll hang on for another 4 years. I'm really wanting cold weather to get here so I can try that greenhouse out ... I'm finding that I kinda prefer "little" gardening projects to a great big garden ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom