Well, now you have done it ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How often do you practice with your CCW gun??

• Once a month

Votes: 44 26.0%
  • Twice a month

Votes: 48 28.4%
  • Three times a month

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Four times a month

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Less than once a month

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • More than 4 times a month

Votes: 31 18.3%

• Total voters

TurboSixPiston

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every Friday is 4-5 hours in the middle of nowhere. From 5:00ish to when the sun goes down, I'm shooting something, most likely the Kimber.

When it'd colder and there's no daylight after work, I shoot on Saturdays. I will get upset with myself if I ever miss my rangetime.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BB, could you define what you mean by "practice"?

For instance, I try to shoot my ccw at least 1-2 weekends a month. Most gun ranges take issue with drawing and shooting from a holster at speed, so while "shooting" could be considered practice in that regard, it doesn't really amount to practice so far as drawing is concerned. Also, the few ranges that don't have an issue with drawing from a holster may have issue with fast firing ie. Bill Drill. So again, it's not really good practice.

In respect to drawing, at home, drawing the pistol from the holster while it is concealed and then dryfiring provides more practical "practice" in terms of practicing the all important draw and fire - but since you are dry firing, there is no real way of knowing anything beyond how you might behave in delivering that first shot. No way to really know how the follow up shots will be.

Then there is also the well known but less frequently admitted practice of dryfiring while doing other tasks around the home. (You know, the shooting the TV habit). :) If this counts as practice, (it is dryfiring after all) then "practice" may occur daily.

I go shooting only about 1-2 weekends a month. I can't afford the ammo to go more frequently than that. But I practice drawing and shooting a few times every week, and I dry fire my ccw almost every day. So....I don't know how to vote in the poll.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We live out on a chunk of rangeland... I can shoot off the porch if needed.

As a personal goal... 50 rounds of rimfire per week ---pistols or rifle --- is something I try for. Owning a K frame 22 helps... it mimics the 357 for size and feel. I can practice the draw... and fire for speed... the only thing missing is the "recoil".

Dry fire... We keep a index card taped on a "safe" interior wall... I shoot a pencil out of my centerfire carry guns --- 3 or 4 minutes a few times a week at a "bullseye" on the card. If you do that right... a great, cheap way to learn, grip, sights and trigger.

Every time you handle a gun or fire a shot--- have a purposful reason for doing so.

Latest posts

Top Bottom