Went to shoot today and ......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merlin72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went there today with a friend and while I had done this in the past I got in trouble for it today as I either did not know they changed the policy or they didnt care in the past.

I was on the floor prone sighting in my .308 and I had just got done with my 5 rounds and the guy came in yelling no prone shooting and then walked out.

My answer to this then is put in nicer benches as the current ones are junk. Make they adjustable in height and out of nicer material. It is hard to sight in when the bench is way to tall if you are sitting in those folding chairs.

Thats Funny , I was with the group of guys to the right of you shooting the machine gun. I saw them get onto someone about that a few weeks ago and I was going to say something to you but since you were on the end I didn't think they could even see you doing it. Plus its not my place to make people aware of there range rules if they are not endagering myself or anyone else.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ah, nice to meet you then. I should of have introduced myself but I hate bothering people while they shoot so I tend to stay to myself.

Yeah I never know with the rules up there, but then again presentation goes along with me.

I generally dont have any issues up there at all with the range people. I am a safe shooter and know what to do and not do and will say something to someone if need be so that is probably why. just caught me off guard as to no explanation why.

To be honest I would rather not beon the dirty floor, but the benches are not really setup for benchrest shooting. The lane I was on (18) looks like the resting spot had been shot out, wobbles and is bent in the middle so it makes it near impossible to shoot off of it.

I really wish they would upgrade, rebuild or replace those benches with something a little more robust and stable so that people could shoot off of the bench when sighting in.

If you see me up there again so hi, I dont go much since I live in Norman. I hate to say it I just go to Sgt Everetts since it close even though it is not as nice as H&H.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright I have to give some kudo's to a peep form the board. If you know him great, if you dont and they want ot post up great as well. This person went above and beyond in contacting me and addressing the issue of prone shooting and making sure to let me know that going forward that prone shooting is ok as long as you are following the rules for center fired rifles and in keeping the targets all the way to the back wall.

That says alot to the type of people we have on this board.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This person went above and beyond in contacting me and addressing the issue of prone shooting and making sure to let me know that going forward that prone shooting is ok as long as you are following the rules for center fired rifles and in keeping the targets all the way to the back wall.

So why'd you get yelled at then? Was there a miscommunication?

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont know if it was miscommunication or a unwritten rule, either way the person that spoke with me assured me that this is resolved and will not be a issue in the future.

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So why'd you get yelled at then? Was there a miscommunication?

Yes...miscommunication. Somewhere, somehow, an unwritten policy of no prone shooting was instituted, and the rule had been verbally communicated to range employees as the gospel. The rule isn't on the printed range rules and is no longer...as of today...a rule, written or unwritten. Today was the first time I heard of the rules existance. When we discussed it this AM we could not come up with any major reason to disallow prone shooting. The only thing we came up with was the trip hazard caused by the prone shooters legs, and the fact that the prone shooter could possibly experience falling hot brass on their neck and back. So...Prone shooting will take place to the far left of Bays 3, 4, 5 when requested.

My apologies if this misunderstanding disrupted anyones shooting.

tjrocks

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I have never had and issues at H&H, if I worked behind a counter all day and dealt with all the different kinds of people that walk through their doors, I might seem like I'm a little cranky once in a while...

Merlin72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont know if it was miscommunication or a unwritten rule, either way the person that spoke with me assured me that this is resolved and will not be a issue in the future.

I don't think anyone would have said anything if they wouldn't have had to come in there and tell the other group on down to quit rapid firing.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had an excellent day at H&H today. Buddy and I shot a S&W 659, a Beretta Neo, my 642, PPK/S, Kahr CW9, Glock 19, and Glock 30 and put a few hundred through my Advantage Arms Kit for the 30. Now I am snugged in for a wee bit 'o cleaning! I have got to consider thinning the herd! LOL.

Latest posts

Top Bottom