What’s a good .22lr handgun option for plinking/ the occasional vermin removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
capacity is king for plinking and guns like the tx-22 and the p-17 holding 17 iirc each has a big advantage over guns like the 22/45 or even a 10 shot .22 revolver.

like my tx-22 holds more than my marlin model 60.

or you can go all out and get a cp33 with the xtendo for fiddy rounds in a very small package that's easy to suppress and brace, in my experience is very accurate and more reliable than most people admit because they don't how to load the magazine.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, no Glock 44 recommended yet!? I love mine. I’ve had heritage rough riders, ruger single revolvers, ruger semi-autos, etc.. I love my Glock 44 the most! Mine has been absolutely reliable, even with cheap ammo. I carry glocks, so it’s a good training tool for me.

When I want a little bit of fun/casual plinking on some steel, glock 44 is hard to beat

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, no Glock 44 recommended yet!? I love mine. I’ve had heritage rough riders, ruger single revolvers, ruger semi-autos, etc.. I love my Glock 44 the most! Mine has been absolutely reliable, even with cheap ammo. I carry glocks, so it’s a good training tool for me.

When I want a little bit of fun/casual plinking on some steel, glock 44 is hard to beat
Well there went the neighborhood! Had a great thread going here and some Glockhead had to go an ruin it. :cool:
Shot one several months ago that ran like a top. But personally like the revos better for plinking with 22.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ruger SR-22...hands down. If you get the one with the shorter barrel, it can do all...CCW if need be, reliable (22 ammo mileage may vary), awesome plinker, easy to take along fishing, DA/SA so very safe trigger, good sights that are adjustable. But yes, I also like the glock, but the Ruger is more compact and the slide is made of metal. The glock is preferred if you are a glock fan and already own a G19. Otherwise, I can't see someone getting the G44 and not owning any other glocks.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the OP is just looking for the plinking occasional varmint removal, any .22 will work from the revo's to the semi's.
You can buy a .22 revo this time of year for $99 or buy a Ruger or Buckmark in whatever range they are selling for these days.
I have both and everything in-between including some break action 9 shot, double action 9 shot, and a 6 shot S&W Masterpiece that has one of the most amazing triggers I've ever pulled.
Competed in the speed shooting competitions with a Ruger Mark III hunter that has had some trigger work, quick takedown kit, Volquardsen brake, and red dot in stainless.
After hundreds of competitions, most of which I've been a range safety officer as well as a competitor, I'm putting the Ruger on top of the Buckmark for reliability in that sport.
It's an observation with my personal experience watching who knows how many competitors I've ran through the course of fire have failures due to whatever reason which are very few.
To the casual shooter, that observation wouldn't make any difference in either choice. If your plinking cans, turtles in the pond or whatever, there is no bad choice for a .22 rimfire. Buy what you can afford and enjoy it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom