What to use for ground on new range?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate all the feedback folks. I already had my "ideas" for what I wanted to do but realize as I get older somebody might actually have a better idea. Based on what I already had planned and some confirmation here the following is what I plan to do:

1) Back berm at least 25', side berms at least 20'
2) throw some Bermuda and maybe some plugs and let nature takes its course
3) after a year or so of vegetation growth and erosion control I will put in some concrete sidewalks
4) maybe if we use it enough I will build a covered shooting area at the 50

This will be primarily used for suppressed handguns. I might occasionally sight in a rifle since the longest clear view is over 200.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate all the feedback folks. I already had my "ideas" for what I wanted to do but realize as I get older somebody might actually have a better idea. Based on what I already had planned and some confirmation here the following is what I plan to do:

1) Back berm at least 25', side berms at least 20'
2) throw some Bermuda and maybe some plugs and let nature takes its course
3) after a year or so of vegetation growth and erosion control I will put in some concrete sidewalks
4) maybe if we use it enough I will build a covered shooting area at the 50

This will be primarily used for suppressed handguns. I might occasionally sight in a rifle since the longest clear view is over 200.
We use pea gravel on the Ponca City gun club range pistol bays. We shoot into them at matches all the time. The bullets pretty much disintegrate or bury into the dirt underneath when hitting it.
Range is all weather, and in the spring and then again in July we spray with a herbicide that kills everything and has a residual kill of 4 months. No mowing.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might consider those preformed concrete squares (16"x16"x2" or so), or those interlocking concrete paving thingies that look like a jigsaw puzzle.

You can put 'em in at ground level and mow over them if needed, plus they'd be easier to move (or remove) if plans change.

Just another thought. :drunk2:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember shooting rifle matches in heavy rain up at Oil Capital and it never go muddy. At..all.

I'd go with a thick layer of pea gravel, maybe an underlayment as mentioned above and make sure you have good drainage. Bigger gravel makes brass retrieval a PITA.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Turflock2007.jpg

Try this idea. An interlocking concrete grid that allows grass to show through (and allows water to drain away).

Latest posts

Top Bottom