Where are the hawks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Just realized today while watching some jackrabbits..........I've not seen a hawk in the last few weeks like most years. Usually during harvest, they put on a pretty good show...hovering, soaring, dive bombing field rats as I run them out of the field ahead of me. Just my area, or is this widespread?

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have at least two that love to eat in my tree and crap in my drive. Other then the mess they are really neat to watch

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have several here around piedmont. The rabbit population around here reflects it also.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Redtails are always around here in SE Logan County, but this year, our population of Mississippi Kites seems way up. Normally, we have one or two that hang around overhead. This year, the numbers seem to have tripled. This one hangs out in the tree outside my window.

10408526_10202392548991226_53648043539459014_n.jpg

10356252_10202392550631267_1273493532097274837_n.jpg

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe they're following the quail in their flight from NW OK? :sorry4:

I usually have a hawk or two nesting in my trees, and it seems like I've seen them this spring, but now that you mention it, I'm not positive about that. I wish some of them would move in near my folks' place; when we cut hay, I'd like to see them get some of those damned gophers.

I saw a bunch of vultures earlier this year, though they seem to have been recently displaced by a metric boatload of egrets (at least I think they're egrets--white wading birds). For some reason, the Lexington area is lousy with egrets this year.

zirrow

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen several while out on a couple of camping trips recently (Murray & Greer counties). A week or two ago I even had one sitting on a power line near my house - in town. This was a first for me. He sat and watched me from about 15 yards while I went back in the house to get my wife and son to check him out.

Granted, with the extreme drought on the Western side of the state, I've seen much fewer critters, and without the critters, I suppose the predators are going to decline too.

ETA: I also saw one twice or two of them last weekend at Tom Steed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom