Where will you open carry, if anywhere?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gonna get me one of these!

Or maybe one of these!

Same here, and you will find me riding the carousel at the mall, spitting tobacco juice on families as I go 'round, scowl plastered on my face.

Nah, the only thing that might change is when I'm headed to the woods I might strap on my hefty revolver and not worry about hiding too much if I stop at a convenience store or something. Right now it rides in the truck until I get there as it is too big for me to conceal very well.

Otherwise nothing will change. Not too big on everybody knowin' that I be havin' a gun on me.

Bullbuster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up in the Gold Star Open Carry State of KY, so I don't have to guess. Unlike many, I've actually open carried for years, and KY does not "look like the wild west" nor "have panic in the streets."

There are "social graces" to be learned in openly carrying a weapon, as with driving a car or just dealing with the public. Here's some of the things to consider:

If in a crowded place or a more formal occassion, it is considered polite to cover up.
If alone in rough areas, tactics might suggest a low profile, concealed.

Secure holsters are a must if carrying open where people are right up next to you.
Commenting on someone carrying open like in a gas station where they are obviously carrying on a trip is consided very rude.
Carrying open with any hint you are drinking warrants immediate LEO attention.
Carrying open in downtown near the bars will get you checked by every LEO you meet.
Save the big fancy handgun in the tooled holster for the bar-b-que with others of like mind. Don't take it to the National Quilt Fair just to scare the Chicago tourists: it's impolite.

If you walk into the store carrying open and the clerk says "don't bring that gun in here," say, Yes Mam'm, turn and leave.

If you walk into my bank back there carrying open, and the teller says, "Please remove your cap and sunglasses," do so immediately. You can have your gun, but you can't be disguised in a bank.

Last time I went to the riverfront festival, I saw maybe half a dozen people carry open in a total of a few thousand. Mine was concealed.

Where do I almost always carry open in KY? Walking my own property and driving to the range or to hunting.

If I may, I'd like to add a couple things as well. Having lived and OC'd for the last 5 years in Virginia and doing many functions with the VCDL and OCDO folks.

Attire means allot to how people react.

--If your in a tank top t-shirt (wife beater) and torn jeans your gonna get questioned by someone and a possible LEO call.
-- If your wearing slacks and a collared shirt, odds are no one will bat and eye or you may get the "Are you a LEO".
Me personally, if I wasn’t in wranglers and boots and a collared I had Dockers and a nice shirt. 9/10 times it was kids I got questions from.

Your actions mean allot.

--If you’re walking around looking lost then someone will likely take notice and a call made but most likely they will stop and challenge you. Be confident in your actions. If at say Wally World, Home Depot or any other store know what and where the things are you’re getting. If you’re not sure ASK. It’s better to ask than wonder and be noticed.

If and when you decide to OC (if this passes), and it’s your 1st time to ever OC. Do so at home for awhile to get used to the new setup (if changing to an OWB at 3 or 9 O'clock) and doing everyday things. You would be amazed at how some actions need to be done differently when OC'ing.

But the most important thing is, if stopped and challenged by a store employee or a LEO. Be polite. Get a digital pocket recorder and record anytime your stopped and challenged. In VA I know of 3 OC cases that a case was thrown out because a LEO said this and that when in fact LEO had crossed the line.

It will take time for everyone to get on the same page as far as the new law. If an employee says you need to leave ask to speak to the manager and find out if its store policy or personal wishes you leave. Don’t be shy to say that you will take your money to some other place. If you already have a cart full of stuff, leave it and go some other place.

When it comes to your chain stores 9/10 times if they don’t allow weapons it’s a corporate policy and your individual stores follow corporate policy. So in many cases when asked to leave by a manager they either do not know corporate policy and or they are anti and it’s a personal request you leave.

Above all don’t be afraid to stand your ground when you know your doing nothing wrong. Stand up for yourself and your rights.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OWB...
Every where it is legal in the summer.

In the winter it will only be covered because the jacket worn for warmth will be covering it.

I might make an exception in relatively crowded venues like theatres. Haven't decided yet.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It used to be allowed to open carry while hunting. Has that changed? Same for fishing and camping.

Michael

Well I don't hunt anymore. Back when I used to carry a gun anytime I went into the woods. I'm not aware of any exemptions except hunting.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I travel almost daily. At least getting out for gas,sans cover garment, in Geary or Cordell and any of the hundreds of little towns around... I won't be in violation anymore.

I ride a horse on county roads at times... to get to gates at different pastures... the snake gun won't be in a saddle bag if this passes...

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't plan on open carrying (other than when working around outside on the property, but I do that anyway).

I do like how if the concealed carry accidentally becomes visible...it's ok.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been a concealed carry instructor from the beginning but,I'm afraid open carry will bring trouble . If it brings enough trouble will we risk loosing concealed carry. I won't open carry if it passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom