Who all is waiting for their CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TuAlum0982

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sent the following to the email address listed above. Maybe not the best approach, but was typed within a matter of minutes

Good Afternoon

I am inquiring about the length of time it is taking to process the SDA applications in our state. Most other states have a 10-30 day window, which we have a 60-90 day window. Why such a long window for something that shouldnt take too long to check? For the cost of the license (minimum 100 dollars), it should not take 100+ days to receive a license if the background check comes back clean. I am not meaning for this email to be rude or bothersome but rather constructive criticism and informational.

I am member of www.okshooters.com and there is a thread of 121 pages titled "who is still waiting for their CCW". There are MANY people who are waiting past the 60 days that the law allows. What exactly does the $100.00 fee (minimum) actually go towards? Are you needing for money from the state for manpower? Does it need to be outsourced? Does another person or two need to be hired? I understand you guys are probably inundated with applications, but I am trying to get an understanding of why the turn around time for someone with a clean background, like myself, is over 90 days.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Sincerely

csmestorga

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You dropped your app off on March 30th, do you know when your check or credit card cleared? I dropped mine off on April 3rd, and the OSBI credit card charge was cleared on the 10th. So I'm thinking that pushed me back about a week or so. Hopefully!!:rolleyes2
They hit my card on 4/25. The day they got my app. Looks like they're faster in tulsa at the SO at least...The SO in Ok County had mine for 27 days (including mail time).

soonergto

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe I will go in there and request a background check, get it from them, then turn around and say "now its done, lets get this license."

Saw this in the FAQ on the OSBI site. Its unrelated to the SDA stuff but cracks me up that I can get one in 10-15 minutes but here we are going for 90+ days on most people for essentially the same thing.

6. How long does it take to do a Criminal History Record Check?

In-person service for a single record check usually requires a wait of ten to fifteen minutes; as a general rule, multiple requests left at the customer window are completed on the same day or by the following day. Regular mail requests are processed and returned in one to three weeks from the date they are received. We try to provide same day or next day service for priority mail or overnight express requests submitted with prepaid returns. If requests by mail are not received within thirty to forty five days, please contact the Criminal History Reporting Unit at (405) 848-6724. Faxed credit card requests are generally processed within 72 hours of their receipt and require the customer to provide a dedicated fax line number for the return results.

TuAlum0982

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just had a good phone conversation with Mr Stan Florence. He was nice enough to call me back after I sent the email on the previous page. He said they are receiving an unprecedented amount of apps per week in the range of 900-1000. He also stated that as with all state agencies they have had to cut their budget by 25% over the past 3yrs. He did say they have filled two vacancies recently and that should help with the approval of applications in a more timely manner. He said its unimaginable all the applications they have everywhere, and that "secretaries are completing apps" working nights and over the weekend as well to help get the apps approved. He also told me that they are looking into outsourcing the imaging part of the application. Not for sure if he is referring to the fingerprinting part or what, but I assume so.

Needless to say, he was very polite, and answered all the questions I asked and was nice enough to take 10 min out of his day to give me a ring.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I mailed my renewal 4/4/12 and still nothing. Sent the email last week on Thursday and have no reply yet. Renewals shouldn't take flipping 90 days.

My wife and my renewals were received by the OSBI on 4/4. 45 days later I called and was told they were running about 60 days behind. It's now 88 days and counting. At least I can carry on my PI license.

Latest posts

Top Bottom