Whoa!! Trail Camera Shocked Me Today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, that's nuts! I hunt a small plot of land in Pott County and would rely on my harness to keep me in the tree if that fella walked up to my feeder. lol

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is AWESOME!!!!!! Wow, I think it would amazing to see elk out in the wild and hear them bugling. The only time I've ever seen or heard elk is on TV :(

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, that was unexpected.

I'd call up the warden on and see if they know about them. He might even like to see the pics. Might be some good deer intel for you in the deal. One never knows.

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Open areas are private lands in Caddo, Comanche and Kiowa counties (Southwest Zone) and Adair, Cherokee, Delaware, Mayes, Muskogee and Sequoyah counties (Northeast Zone

http://www.eregulations.com/oklahoma/hunting/elk/

yeah I am in the northeast. Have both land in Cherokee and Mayes county. been told that they are in Eastern Mayes out in the spavinaw area. I deliver mail east of Salina all the way to Delaware county and yet to see any there either. I have never seen a wild elk in Oklahoma. I know for a fact I won't be getting any on our property in Mayes. But this land we bought in Cherokee county has potential. I have even caught the occasional Black Bear roaming around. I have yet to get the best picture of him as he just walks by the camera and it snaps a photo. always a little blurry and him walking away. Gonna be planting a variety of fruit trees for the deer and hopefully growing bear population.

I hope and dream that I would be able to catch an elk even a cow in one the food plot. we have 200 acres that is land locked. we have a 1/4 mile easement at the end of a dead end dirt road to get our property. its about 1.5 miles to the nearest active county road that is on the south end of property in the other directions it is miles before you find a county road. So fortunately we have a secluded area that have some real nice bucks on it. Hopefully one day an elk or 20 :) lol

and brandi yes hearing elk bugling in the wild is one of the most epic sounds I have ever heard hunting.
My grandfather and I were close and I was very fortunate to go on a few hunts with him. Back in 2004 I was only 14 at the time and We went to New Mexico on a cow elk hunt. there were 4 of us and 5 days of hunting. Anyways waking up in those mountains and when that sun starts to light up the valleys you can see the low hanging clouds and the brisk 40-50 degree temps. You can hear them bulls a bugling for miles. hearing that echo through the valleys is amazing.

I tried to convince the guys that it is rare but I know I saw a 6x6 cow and she needed to be taken. Of course it didn't work. We all 4 got our cows but I have always wanted to go back and go on a bull hunt. I will one day just till then.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and brandi yes hearing elk bugling in the wild is one of the most epic sounds I have ever heard hunting.
Yeah its all great and wonderful until you're on night 6 and the stupid things won't shut up and you just want a few consecutive of hours of sleep before you go all Jack Torrance on everyone else in camp.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah its all great and wonderful until you're on night 6 and the stupid things won't shut up and you just want a few consecutive of hours of sleep before you go all Jack Torrance on everyone else in camp.

So are you saying that the rest of your hunting party is, is, is..........................................still on location of hunt?

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember a deer hunting trip I went on that was in a new area I'd never been to before. It had big rolling grassy hills, it was like I was in a brand new state but I knew it was Oklahoma. I jumped up this giant doe that scared the crap out of me because she'd been laying in the grass when I walked up to her. As she was running away she had this weird hopping run and I thought maybe she was injured.

The guy that had taken me out there saw it and asked me what happened. I said it just jumped up in front of me but I thought it was injured because it was running weird. He laughed and said "that's because it wasn't a whitetail, it was a mule deer". I didn't know there were mule deer in Oklahoma but I do now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom