Why is there a 22LR ammo shortage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am of the opinion that its hoarders and resellers that are causing the shortage. And the fact that most people who own a gun have atleast one .22 pistol or rifle in their arsenal.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just spoke with a knowledgeable employee at the south BA Walmart; he said that people are coming into the store at four o'clock in the morning to buy whatever .22 ammo they get in that day. I mean, really?

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of it is supply and demand. Most gun grabbers wanted to just buy a gun..any gun. The most affordable gun? anything in .22 caliber. I know 4 people who bought .22 caliber rilfes or pistols for this reason exactly. Multiply that by...oh, lets just millions. There is your shortage reason. Its cheaper than .223/5.56 etc...

Most noobz in the gun arena think that 550 rounds for $20 is an excellent deal. Pay $10 for 20 rounds? HA! You get my drift.

It will normalize folks. The price will never come down to $10/brick, but you will eventually start seeing it on the shelf. I went to academy today and there was more .223/5.56 there than before the scare. I could have backed up my truck and filled it to the brim.

You are seeing 9, .45, .308, and 7.62 on the shelf...even 3 months ago that was limited. It will come back and you will be like...what shortage?

I put in two orders.... and it let me.

another reason for the shortage, gaming the system. Nothing personal, but I've seen a family of 4 go and buy the limit, while leaving none for the other 10 ppl in line.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of it is supply and demand. Most gun grabbers wanted to just buy a gun..any gun. The most affordable gun? anything in .22 caliber. I know 4 people who bought .22 caliber rilfes or pistols for this reason exactly. Multiply that by...oh, lets just millions. There is your shortage reason. Its cheaper than .223/5.56 etc...

Most noobz in the gun arena think that 550 rounds for $20 is an excellent deal. Pay $10 for 20 rounds? HA! You get my drift.

It will normalize folks. The price will never come down to $10/brick, but you will eventually start seeing it on the shelf. I went to academy today and there was more .223/5.56 there than before the scare. I could have backed up my truck and filled it to the brim.

You are seeing 9, .45, .308, and 7.62 on the shelf...even 3 months ago that was limited. It will come back and you will be like...what shortage?

another reason for the shortage, gaming the system. Nothing personal, but I've seen a family of 4 go and buy the limit, while leaving none for the other 10 ppl in line.

say what you want.. but one box is for me and the other for my son... anyway.. the sale is back up at that same price ya'll

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
say what you want.. but one box is for me and the other for my son... anyway.. the sale is back up at that same price ya'll

You could have been buying it for you grandma for all I care, my statement remains the same. "Gaming" the system. I have a son too, bro...relax. as I said...nothing personal, but you missed that part. March on bro, march on.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could have been buying it for you grandma for all I care, my statement remains the same. "Gaming" the system. I have a son too, bro...relax. as I said...nothing personal, but you missed that part. March on bro, march on.

no I got your point and understand what your saying... but I don't think getting two boxes and walking away was gaming.. I payed for both transactions separately paying the charge both times using the same log in and for personal use not for resale...could someone keep doing that yeah probably and or had family doing the same thing for them and then flipping it... yeah that would be crap.
the simple truth is that .22 has been a ***** to find at good prices and when I find it I jump.. and NO I don't have 3K rounds sitting waiting for a rainy day.... that damn drop in .22 bolt for my AR eats em to fast.

Latest posts

Top Bottom