You'd think the IRS could tell what you owe...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But you'd be wrong.

You'd think that with a $2 BILLION I.T. budget they could pull up your info and tell you what to pay and when.

But you'd be wrong.

I've been dicking around with these guys for 6 months. Over a $10 fee here, and a $35 fee there, kind of thing and I still don't know if I have them all paid. So today I asked specifically if they would pull up my account and tell me if I owed anything, anything at all on form 940 and 941, for ANY period up to Q4 2013. They said I owed $35 and change for 2013's 940 form and that's it. It's now paid and we will see, because I had this same exact conversation with them back in April and got a different amount which was paid so I should be cleared for that period. Nope.

She also got a small penalty fee waived for the 1st Qtr. 941, but at the same time said she couldn't see any payments for that qtr. Wait a minute...WTF? "We can't see any payments for at least 10 days". I made them over 2 months ago! I can go to 7-11 and swipe my ATM card, drive home and see it. $2 BILLION? Really?

It is utterly astounding what I've learned about their inner workings and how their IT system works. $2 BILLION and I can do better with a Big Chief writing pad! :faint:

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me. Before we moved to paying 940 and 941 payments to the newer EFTPS site. We went round and round over approximately $3,000-$4,000 in balance due vs over payment. From what I can remember. We paid one payroll period and either we applied it to the wrong quarter or they did. Either way. We were getting notices to every other month stating. You owe X for Q1 and you have a credit of X for Q2. Unfortunately without a specific document stating which specific periods the IRS could talk to me on. I had to get my boss on the phone to give them the clearance to talk to me. We finally got to the bottom of it after someone pulled enough of a history to find out where the discrepancy was.

I'm not surprised by your issues. One thing is for sure though. When your number comes up. It doesn't matter what you say. They want their money even if you disagree.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And their notices are the specific problem.

You get one that says "you have unpaid taxes for the tax period ending September 30, 201x (form 94x)". When in reality it's not unpaid taxes at all, it's a penalty. And it's certainly understandable that one could make a payment incorrectly with that going on. I've went round and round with them on this, so I just call them now. And get a different scenario every time. Kind of makes you insane!

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The big picture is that the income tax is an all-around bad deal. It gives govt took much power. Replace it with the Fair Tax - a national sales tax.

Griping to people on this board accomplishes nothing. Asking your representatives to reform the IRS accomplishes nothing. The fix is to eliminate the income tax and replace it with a national sales tax - the Fair Tax

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its not that they CAN,T its they dont want to cause the more it stays lost the more interest,late fees and penilties it piles up so they an put more in their pockets and live better than we can and the employees cant even pay their own taxes and get by with it. I fought with them for 4 years over taxes i had paid and had the receipts and tax returns to prove it and had to send them in 5 times cause they keep loosing them too so the last time i sent them i had it registered with signature they finally dropped it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interestingly enough I got a letter from the IRS today.

I'm the Executor of my Moms estate, and had H&R Block do her final taxes, as that was who she used over the years and I had all of the past history on file.

Got a letter a month ago that said a form was missed, so went back to H&R, and they filled it out.

Got the letter today saying they had done some reprocessing and a check would be in the mail to me in a month or less. I'm guessing the error was in my favor since they didn't scream about penalty's or whatever.

I agree, a Flat tax would stop all of this nonsense.

Latest posts

Top Bottom