$5 Debit Card fees????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that my bank (USAA) was quick to send out an email to customers saying that they would not be charging fees for the use of debit cards. If they can finance the maintenance of their debit card program some other way (interest paid on credit cards, mortgages, etc) then other banks can too.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I Left BOA years ago and never looked back. They screwed up and gave another person with my name access to my account and $2k disappeared in 30 minutes before I could get my account locked. It took 2 months to get my money back and get an explanation of what happened... And I still was charged about $100 in fees for all of the madness.

Been with TFCU since and never one issue! not one! Same goes with USAA whom I have been with forever.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember the good old days when banks competed for the privilege of being able to use your money to make more money instead of charging you for a service.

:anyone:

I never use my debit card as a debit, only as a VISA any so I can do without it. If they decide to stop offering VISA type access to our bank account funds or try to charge a fee for that, then I'll switch to a true credit card, checks or cash only. No sweat.

I'm sick and tired of the fees that everyone charges for what should be a normal cost of business. First they offer these new things in an effort to gain business and then later they decide that they can charge for it... it's just another example of the knuckleheads in charge trying to get away with whatever we will allow them to get away with.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Credit unions will probably start to prosper, but to be honest, this may not be a bad thing. Some people cant, or wont get credit cards and will move to cash. I ( more so my wife) honestly would spend less and save more if I had to use cash.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My advice has always been to avoid BOA. They lost a deposit made to my parent's account long ago and were rude about it to boot. "We do not make mistakes. We are BOA." Never again.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd just ditch the debit card and use credit card. Why use your own money when you can use the bank's. Then just pay it down to zero balance every month, paying no interest, and you win the bank loses and the merchants pay the bank so you can use your credit card.

Never got the whole debit card thing; nope never really understood it.

This. From my experiences, you are better protected with a CC anyways. I don't understand using BOA in the first place, local banks have always treated me better.....

Yep. Pretty much sums it up for us too. We're a cash-carrying kinda couple, except for the big stuff or something we need a record for.

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I opened my BOA account in 1969 and had stayed with them until last year. After the bailout, I received a letter notifying me that my interest rate on my card was going to double. I got on the phone and protested, to no avail. I informed the supervisor that I was cutting up my card as we spoke. The account was closed that day and I took my business elsewhere. I now get another letter from BOA each month. They go in the same trash can as all the Chase mail. When I am paying for service, I expect to be served, not betrayed.

Phat Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
kinda funny when you opened a account with B O A they said get the debit card. it's like credit and comes out of your account that day. easy to keep up with your purchase, and gives you the VISA help if lost or stolen. after a bad run of luck I can't get a credit card to save my life. so if I'm to make on line buy's it's a debit card only for me. look a what that green dot visa charges people. I'm just going to change to a local area small bank and be done with it. I'm not running the lower 48 any more.

cyberslider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd just ditch the debit card and use credit card. Why use your own money when you can use the bank's. Then just pay it down to zero balance every month, paying no interest, and you win the bank loses and the merchants pay the bank so you can use your credit card.
Snip

I started just using my credit card and paying it off every month - paid no interest or fees. after about 6 months of that, the bank lowered my credit limit to 300 bucks and raised my interest rate to 19%

Latest posts

Top Bottom