Advice buying a truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A two horse trailer is about 3500 to 4500lbs. Our horses are both about 950 (they both big boys) so heaviest would be 6400 to 7000lbs. I don't think many 1/2 ton trucks will tow that. Since someone brought up a travel trailer, I will add that as a possibility.

In anycase, my question is, at what point do you look at a trucks mileage and say it has too much.
Actually most are, even with their V6 trim. Even a mid size Colorado is rated up to 7000.

I bring it up to say I wouldn't want to do it regularly despite the ratings. You'll be much more comfortable with the length and brakes and frame of at least a 1/2 or better a 3/4 ton

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem I have had with my Ford HD type trucks type trucks is the fuel injectors going out at around 150,000 and the tranny sucks for towing real heavy loads. I have found that the Dodge HD have one heck of a transmission for pulling leaving the Fords in the dust (I have Fords). I have a 2002 GMC 3500 dually that I pull horses with and drive daily that is gas, it get 12-14 between Pumpkin Center and lawton/Duncan and has had no issues at all. Works great for small loads, but anything heavier and I use one of the diesal trucks.
I don't think the 03+ Ford injectors fail anymore than the 03+ Cummins. The Ford Torqshift 03+ transmission is much better than anything Dodge has. The older 7.3 automatics are junk. Stay away from 6.0s and 6.4s. If you feel like you need a diesel, then get a Ford 6.7(11+) if you have the money for it. Bells and whistles are nice, but so is reliability and mpg.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem I have had with my Ford HD type trucks type trucks is the fuel injectors going out at around 150,000 and the tranny sucks for towing real heavy loads. I have found that the Dodge HD have one heck of a transmission for pulling leaving the Fords in the dust (I have Fords). I have a 2002 GMC 3500 dually that I pull horses with and drive daily that is gas, it get 12-14 between Pumpkin Center and lawton/Duncan and has had no issues at all. Works great for small loads, but anything heavier and I use one of the diesal trucks.

Did you ever use a Lubricity additive in your fuel? When they switched to ultra low sulfur diesel they often didn’t add the proper amount of additive during production, and with out it they started chewing up pumps and injectors,

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually most are, even with their V6 trim. Even a mid size Colorado is rated up to 7000.

I bring it up to say I wouldn't want to do it regularly despite the ratings. You'll be much more comfortable with the length and brakes and frame of at least a 1/2 or better a 3/4 ton
That's why we are looking at a 3/4 ton

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
-Depends on gas or diesel, who the previous owner was and what it was used for. I'm hesitant in buying a used truck from a dealer, because it near impossible to answer
-The only Dodge I would ever consider would have to have the Aisin transmission. I have zero farm friends who use Dodge anymore, they simply do not hold up. Both mechanically as far as drive train and suspension.
-Keep in mind that while a half ton may pull it forward, how well will it do stopping it, although 7k lbs is that heavy of a load.

We pull this across the country multiple times a year with our 12' 6.7l. It had 56k miles on it when we bought it for less than half the original sticker price. Set cruise on 70mph and enjoy,

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_Super_20Celebration_202016_20160411_161936_zpsc8qwubxv.jpg

That's a nice setup.

Howerever, couple things on the Ram and the problems you mentioned. The Aisin trans is a beast and about the best around for these size trucks. That being said the current 68RFE trans behind most of the Cummins is a great trans as well. IT has some minor issues when it first came out but those issues have been rectified a long time ago. Back 15-25 years ago Dodge did have some issues with the front end suspension holding up over time on trucks used on job sites and farming where the truck was used daily for off highway driving. NOt racing or off reading but daily use on large dirt construction sites. This issues have also been remedied years and years ago.

I drive for just about all our family vacations. From SoCal to Oklahoma round trip at least once per year and to Montana once per year and other long trips. Probably about 10K per year just for vacation driving. I will tell you that 80%+ of the trucks i see towing the largest 5th wheels and the large 3-4 car car-carriers are Ram 3500 and 5500 Trucks. Most the 3500. The vast majority that are towing real heavy are in a Ram with a Cummins, period.

Latest posts

Top Bottom