Advice buying a truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah my wife said "No F***in way!!!" I had cash lined up to buy a 4X4 Pinzgauer and she said "No F***in way!!!" She doesn't say nuttin when I buy guns so I guess I cant complain................ too much

I like the Pinz too but parts a really expensive if something goes bad, plus the air cooled engines are better for winter driving lol

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
That's a nice setup.

Howerever, couple things on the Ram and the problems you mentioned. The Aisin trans is a beast and about the best around for these size trucks. That being said the current 68RFE trans behind most of the Cummins is a great trans as well. IT has some minor issues when it first came out but those issues have been rectified a long time ago. Back 15-25 years ago Dodge did have some issues with the front end suspension holding up over time on trucks used on job sites and farming where the truck was used daily for off highway driving. NOt racing or off reading but daily use on large dirt construction sites. This issues have also been remedied years and years ago.

I drive for just about all our family vacations. From SoCal to Oklahoma round trip at least once per year and to Montana once per year and other long trips. Probably about 10K per year just for vacation driving. I will tell you that 80%+ of the trucks i see towing the largest 5th wheels and the large 3-4 car car-carriers are Ram 3500 and 5500 Trucks. Most the 3500. The vast majority that are towing real heavy are in a Ram with a Cummins, period.

Not sure how recently they remedied their suspension issues, but as of 2013 they hadn't, as they were the most recent two traded in on Fords. IIRC the Aisin are only available in the 3500 and up? As far what brands you see hauling the most, I'm not doubting your claim, but that claim wouldn't hold true here, not even close. We see Super Duties pulling 35'+ toy haulers with trailers behind them with bikes, atvs and sand rails in route to Little Sahara almost daily. SD out number GM and Dodge vastly. If I had to guess probably 15 to 1? Maybe it's just an OK/TX thing I don't know.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a nice setup.

Howerever, couple things on the Ram and the problems you mentioned. The Aisin trans is a beast and about the best around for these size trucks. That being said the current 68RFE trans behind most of the Cummins is a great trans as well. IT has some minor issues when it first came out but those issues have been rectified a long time ago. Back 15-25 years ago Dodge did have some issues with the front end suspension holding up over time on trucks used on job sites and farming where the truck was used daily for off highway driving. NOt racing or off reading but daily use on large dirt construction sites. This issues have also been remedied years and years ago.

I drive for just about all our family vacations. From SoCal to Oklahoma round trip at least once per year and to Montana once per year and other long trips. Probably about 10K per year just for vacation driving. I will tell you that 80%+ of the trucks i see towing the largest 5th wheels and the large 3-4 car car-carriers are Ram 3500 and 5500 Trucks. Most the 3500. The vast majority that are towing real heavy are in a Ram with a Cummins, period.
Is that because they are much cheaper to buy?
Anything made by that company has issues. Our Jeep Grand Cherokee limited that is made by the same company has a horrible reputation on Consumer reports. They have it as the most worked on vehicle.
Worst vehicle we ever owned. Had the dash removed three times to fix AC issues, Tranny went out at 80K, and the engine spun a rod at 120K.
Hundreds of online reports of the same time frame failures.
My buddy has an 06 hemi 2wd 1/2 ton with 80K on it. Sure as hell, the tranny went out, then 2K later the AC went out.
All gassers.
My experience with them in the past with a door once falling off with a faulty weld has steered me completely away from anything made by Dodge.
If Toyota came out with a diesel HD, I'd be all over it.
I see Nissan has came out with a diesel. Good looking truck. Anybody have experience with them?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Is that because they are much cheaper to buy?
Anything made by that company has issues. Our Jeep Grand Cherokee limited that is made by the same company has a horrible reputation on Consumer reports. They have it as the most worked on vehicle.
Worst vehicle we ever owned. Had the dash removed three times to fix AC issues, Tranny went out at 80K, and the engine spun a rod at 120K.
Hundreds of online reports of the same time frame failures.
My buddy has an 06 hemi 2wd 1/2 ton with 80K on it. Sure as hell, the tranny went out, then 2K later the AC went out.
All gassers.
My experience with them in the past with a door once falling off with a faulty weld has steered me completely away from anything made by Dodge.
If Toyota came out with a diesel HD, I'd be all over it.
I see Nissan has came out with a diesel. Good looking truck. Anybody have experience with them?

No experience but I've seen quite a few on the road. Makes about the same numbers as the 6.0l PSD but lighter, and in a lighter truck. Should be a good puller short of gooseneck/fifth wheel hauling.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No experience but I've seen quite a few on the road. Makes about the same numbers as the 6.0l PSD but lighter, and in a lighter truck. Should be a good puller short of gooseneck/fifth wheel hauling.
Yeah, gonna have to look at the numbers and some more customer reviews.
For the record, I hold customer reviews for the most part as ancillary information because a lot of them don't know whf they are talking about.
A week after buying something they get a request to offer a review. How in the hell can they review something after a week?
It takes years of operating a motor vehicle to know how it rates.

Latest posts

Top Bottom