Advice buying a truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, depending on the alloy, aluminum can have a stronger tensile strength than steel.
But what I heard and can't can't confirm is that the Ford has gone to a unit replacement system. If you back into a pole and break the tail light, you have to replace the quarter panel as its all considered a unit of the quarter panel.
Again, I can't confirm that and have asked that question on OSA before with no response. Now that they have been out for a few years, anybody have any experience?

We still pay for single lamp replacements. Never heard of doing what you describe.

Al is more expensive generally speaking because it is harder (as in the hardness of the alloy), and that tends to be less forgiving and fracture/tear when hit and damaged. It may take more force to damage it (though any collision has enough force to render his point moot), but when damaged it's less malleable and less repairable than steel. More often requires a panel replacement versus repair than steel. So to your example a backing accident may require a lamp replacement but rather than massaging the dented steel around the lamp, the entire aluminum section needs replaced due to the damage and tearing of the metal.

Additionally tools are kept separate for steel vs aluminum to prevent contamination and corrosion, and shops handling aluminum charged a surcharge to cover that. This predates even ford and goes back to the Audi and European days. It's less common now but still happens.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We found a 2011 F250 SD Lariot here in Lawton with 118,000 miles on it. So we pulled the trigger on it. What surprised me were how few of the 250s and Chevy 2500s were around. NONE in Lawton and surrounding town except the 250 we found. I had figured by looking online that we would have to go to OKC and maybe even DallasFtworth area to find one.

We took it for a test drive Friday evening and the wife started rummaging around in the glove box and found the previous owners address and phone. We gave the guy a call and explained that we found his info in the truck and asked if it had any problems. He said no and that he traded it in on a new F350. He said the only thing he thought was the steering had some play (5 to 10 degrees) in it which we confirmed when we test drove it. This morning its goin back to get the Tie rods, arms, and steering shaft checked

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We found a 2011 F250 SD Lariot here in Lawton with 118,000 miles on it. So we pulled the trigger on it. What surprised me were how few of the 250s and Chevy 2500s were around. NONE in Lawton and surrounding town except the 250 we found. I had figured by looking online that we would have to go to OKC and maybe even DallasFtworth area to find one.

We took it for a test drive Friday evening and the wife started rummaging around in the glove box and found the previous owners address and phone. We gave the guy a call and explained that we found his info in the truck and asked if it had any problems. He said no and that he traded it in on a new F350. He said the only thing he thought was the steering had some play (5 to 10 degrees) in it which we confirmed when we test drove it. This morning its goin back to get the Tie rods, arms, and steering shaft checked

When we were looking for a used F350, OK and KS were slim, they were all in TX.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So... who won? :D
We did. We got the Truck down to the lower end of market value (KBB) for the year, mileage and condition. He managed to get mine down $250 from market value. That and the condition that the steering is fixed. They're replacing the tie rods and detailing tomorrow. We had it from sat to today, and according to the computer its getting 16mpg around town so that's a plus. My Honda Ridgeline only gets 15mpg

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We did. We got the Truck down to the lower end of market value (KBB) for the year, mileage and condition. He managed to get mine down $250 from market value. That and the condition that the steering is fixed. They're replacing the tie rods and detailing tomorrow. We had it from sat to today, and according to the computer its getting 16mpg around town so that's a plus. My Honda Ridgeline only gets 15mpg
Congrats, hope ya get a lotta miles out of it. :drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom