Advice buying a truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A lot has changed since 2014
I will take this to heart and give the F350 another look when a new truck is needed. Mine are a 2001 f250 and a 2006 f350. My experiences are great with Fords, except heavy towing and even then they get the job done. Back in 06 when I was looking, the transmissions were not as powerful as the dodge, sounds like that is fixed now. I completely agree that if you do not really need a diesel, then go with a gasser. For pulling the Massey on a 26 foot trailer around the area the 250 is great, 350 pulls a 3 section cattle trailer and 36 foot flatbed with round bales decently. If I get onto anything but flat ground, I really feel it. But then again, I live in hulen so.....

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll take an aluminum body any day. But the body has very little to do with the overall chassis strength. I'm pretty sure the new SuperDuty's have the strongest frames of anyone right now.

Take an aluminum body. Hail will beat the chit out of it.
Got any references to any video to prove if Ford has stepped up it's chassis stenghth. I hope the have.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The Torqshift trans in the Super Duties since 2003 have been incredible, both the 5 and 6 speeds. The 4 speed 4R100 behind the 7.3l weren't as reliable as the as the Torqshift for sure, yet still a good combination.

Rooster what were the Super Duty chassis fails? I wasn't aware of that issue.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll take an aluminum body any day
I'm not sold on the Aluminum bodies either, although the GM commercials showing a tool box and some rocks dumped into the aluminum beds resulted in holes in both, but they only showed the damage to the Ford.
They have been out for a couple of years now. I was told the aluminum was much more expensive to repair insurance wise vs steel, but I've asked that question before when they were just coming out, and wonder if that is true.
Also think the aluminum is only in the F150's?
The SuperDuty's are all aluminum body now, including the bed but the bed material on the SuperDuty's is thicker.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The aluminum is more dent resistant than steel. And if I get hailed on, welll, I guess that's why I have insurance.
Yes, depending on the alloy, aluminum can have a stronger tensile strength than steel.
But what I heard and can't can't confirm is that the Ford has gone to a unit replacement system. If you back into a pole and break the tail light, you have to replace the quarter panel as its all considered a unit of the quarter panel.
Again, I can't confirm that and have asked that question on OSA before with no response. Now that they have been out for a few years, anybody have any experience?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We had huge hail this summer, and I know of one 17' F150 that was beat to hell. As in there wasn't a spot on the truck where you could put your hand and not cover a dent. He told me there were only 3 shops in the state that would touch an Al truck. I've not talked to him since to see what transpired about the repair.

Latest posts

Top Bottom