Appleseed 10/22 Setup?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm wanting to bring two of my kids to the next Appleseed. How would you folks (Henschman!) recommend I rig the rifles so they get the most out of the information presented. Starting with bone stock carbines and synthetic stocks.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which sight would you say is best? GI sling is awesome, I can get those anywhere. Not worried about the cost but I'd hate to take the time out and find out they didn't have an ideal setup when we went. I'm probably overthinking it.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which sight would you say is best? GI sling is awesome, I can get those anywhere. Not worried about the cost but I'd hate to take the time out and find out they didn't have an ideal setup when we went. I'm probably overthinking it.

I wouldn't declare which is best, but any reliable peep style sight will work in conjunction with the fundamentals they teach (as will the factory sights of course).

Tech sights
Williams gun sights
Probably a few others.

I put a Williams WGRS-RU22 on a couple 10/22s but I'm not entirely satisfied with the durability of the rear peep adjustments. Had trouble with it coming loose under .22lr recoil.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like SMS already got you mostly squared away!

A few more details... make sure you get 1 1/4" sling swivels, instead of the much more common 1" swivels. The GI slings require the wider loops. You will probably have to order them online, because most local stores only carry 1". You have to get some sling studs too, since the Carbines don't come with them... might as well get the 1 1/4" swivel and stud combo pack that Midway sells. You will want the machine screw stud with backing nut rather than the slow pitch wood screw ones, at least for the front stud... the plastic stocks are pretty thin, and there isn't much "meat" to thread a stud into. This is most important for the front stud, since it will have the most force imparted on it from slinging up. Install the studs about an inch from either end of the stock. Drill the hole with a bit that is the diameter of the center shaft of the screw, so the threads will bite into the plastic. Start threading the stud in by tapping it with a hammer to get the threads started, and screw it in using a nail, Allen wrench, etc. through the stud. For the front, tighten down the backing nut, mark the screw where it protrudes from the nut, then remove it and cut the excess off with a hack saw. Reinstall, tighten it all down, and you're good. For the rear, lots of people just use a wood screw stud and screw it in. You might put a glob of epoxy or JB weld in the hole before you install it for extra strength.

As far as the sling goes, get a legit GI one, not a reproduction. The one they sell on the Appleseed store for $14.50 is great. Cotton, nylon, it doesn't really matter. Everyone has his preference, but they all work. Old surplus slings off ebay or from the gun show work too... just be sure it's the M1 issue web sling, the one with he hook on the rear and the cam buckle for adjusting.

I hope to see you on the Appleseed trail soon!

Sheeve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on the GI Sling, it does everything you need for an Appleseed Shoot. Another option on the sights is the Nodak rear sight setup that has a built in picatinny rail. The Tech Sight front is a cleaner setup as it drifts into the factory dovetail but the Nodak rear setup allows you to expand and toss on a mini red dot like a Bushnell or Primary arms and get a good co-witness. My 10/22 does double duty around my place as a varmint gun as well and its nice to have a dot when shooting in the dark.

Latest posts

Top Bottom