AR BCG wont go either direction!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyOfJuan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 HUGE things have happened.
1. Spikes emailed be back and basically said, "knock it out of there, take pics of the damage, and we'll cover it". Top notch customer service. Kudos to Spikes.

2. After many hours of F'ing with this damn thing, my buddy (lets call him White Trash Jimmy...or WTJ...and he would take this as a compliment) grabbed my upper for, literally 2 minutes and popped the damn BCG out without bashing on it at all. Let me describe what I can...remember...I'm kind of a newbie. The forward assist failed. It either broke or came apart because a little piece (pics to follow) was holding the BCG in place. It doesn't look to me like much damage was done other than to the forward assist. However, Kurt, I'd still really appreciate it if you would have a look-see.
I've tried to get the best pics that I can. Hard holding the rifle and camera at the same time. First is all the pieces out. Second is the piece of the forward assist that came/broke off (if you could tell me which...that'd be awesome) and third is a bad pic of the remaining piece of the forward assist WITH the button fully depressed.

Thanks OSA!!!

IMG_1386.jpgIMG_1389.jpgIMG_1388.jpg

ArmyOfJuan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After a little more research, here is what I now know. The forward assist pawl came loose from the thumb button. I can't tell exactly but it looks like the little hinge pin holding them together was mis aligned, too short, or sheared off. Not sure how or why but the pawl itself looks scuffed but ok. There is no bare metal. Thoughts?
IMG_1393.jpg

ArmyOfJuan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So here is the final verdict. It appears that the roll pin holding the forward assist button to the pawl was a fraction of a mm too short. It looks like the short end broke which allowed the pawl to wiggle, then it sheared the pin on the other side and fell freely into the breach. I don't think this was really any fault of Spikes. The pin probably looked, felt and function right to the gunsmith before it left the floor, but if they had put a micrometer on it, they may have seen it...but how can a consumer as a company like that to mic EVERY little part of EVERY rifle? Honestly...it was a roll pin. Good news it that there was ZERO damage to any other part of the gun. Kurt (Huge props to Kurt) installed a new roll pin made of stronger metal, and it was good as new. He also gave me a quick education about AR's in general. So, thanks to all and kudos to Spikes.
Up first the the forward assist, removed, minus the pawl.
Second is the broken roll pin along side the new one.
Third is the pawl by itself.
IMG_1413.jpg
IMG_1416.jpg
IMG_1393.jpg

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad it's all worked out...and thanks for coming back to share the final verdict with us. Too many times people come here looking for help and never share the results so we can all learn.

Latest posts

Top Bottom