Contact with LEO and CCW experiences.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Experience when CCW and LEO contact

• Total voters

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One homophone mistake and you can't read my post?
Even if it was spelled right, thats an impossible question to answer, OUR police forces (OKC, Norman, Moore) and all the individuals in it, operate differently with no standard that's followed. Its pretty archaic actually.
I would not live in Moore or Norman for love or money because those officers are just armed revenuers. Mustang also.
OKC actually tries to make a difference the correct way.

doug1949

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some jurisdictions require you to let an officer know if you are armed. I always do. Have never had a negative reaction. Most officers seem to appreciate it. However, I am not surprised that there are a range of reactions from officers

Elm Creek Smith

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These days most departments require that officers carry the same gun. Tulsa PD used to issue Glock 22s, but detectives and tactical guys could carry Glock 23s or 27s. I believe the transitioned to Glock 17s a while back.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

Elm Creek Smith

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When Concealed.Weapon Licences were new, I was stopped on the Indian Nations Turnpike for speeding. The Highway Patrolman waved me back to his car's passenger side, and I handed him my driver's license and CWL. He asked, "What's this?" I told him it was my concealed carry license and by law I was required to tell him I was armed. He asked if it was in me. I said yes, and he asked what I was carrying. I said it was a 3 inch S&W Model 13 .357 magnum. His comment was, "Good choice," as he steadily finished writing my ticket. He gave me a break on the speed so I didn't lose points on my license.

My brother wasn't so lucky. He was stopped by a rookie who called for backup. A sergeant showed up, asked my brother to get out of the truck and tell her where his gun was. She took his Kimber Pro-Carry out of the holster, dropped the #MAGAzine, and handed it to him, laying the magazine on the hood of the rookie's car. They ran my brother's DL & CWL, wrote him a school zone ticket. The sergeant left after giving the rookie some instructions. The rookie handed him his #MAGAzine and asked him not to load the .45 until he left left. With the #MAGAzine in hand, my brother explained that the sergeant hadn't cleared the cocked & locked Kimber, leaving a round in the chamber and that there were 2 spare magazines on his belt. He said the rookie nearly soiled himself before thanking him, getting into his cruiser, and smoking the tires past my brother's pickup.

BadKarma

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not sure about others, but I always appreciate people telling me that they’re armed. And besides a guy doing 105 in a 45, I don’t remember ever giving anyone that was armed a ticket. I figure that most with a concealed license (or law abiding armed citizen now) aren’t criminals, don’t get into trouble much, and odds are they’re pretty good people.
That has always been my SOP. I always had more important things to do than focus on the
motoring public. If I give you a ticket you've messed up pretty bad.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When Concealed.Weapon Licences were new, I was stopped on the Indian Nations Turnpike for speeding. The Highway Patrolman waved me back to his car's passenger side, and I handed him my driver's license and CWL. He asked, "What's this?" I told him it was my concealed carry license and by law I was required to tell him I was armed. He asked if it was in me. I said yes, and he asked what I was carrying. I said it was a 3 inch S&W Model 13 .357 magnum. His comment was, "Good choice," as he steadily finished writing my ticket. He gave me a break on the speed so I didn't lose points on my license.

My brother wasn't so lucky. He was stopped by a rookie who called for backup. A sergeant showed up, asked my brother to get out of the truck and tell her where his gun was. She took his Kimber Pro-Carry out of the holster, dropped the #MAGAzine, and handed it to him, laying the magazine on the hood of the rookie's car. They ran my brother's DL & CWL, wrote him a school zone ticket. The sergeant left after giving the rookie some instructions. The rookie handed him his #MAGAzine and asked him not to load the .45 until he left left. With the #MAGAzine in hand, my brother explained that the sergeant hadn't cleared the cocked & locked Kimber, leaving a round in the chamber and that there were 2 spare magazines on his belt. He said the rookie nearly soiled himself before thanking him, getting into his cruiser, and smoking the tires past my brother's pickup.

When was your brother stopped? Current laws do not allow an officer in a traffic stop to remove or ask you to remove your weapon. You don't even have to tell them your in possession of a firearm unless they ask.

D. It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact that the person is in actual possession of a concealed or unconcealed firearm pursuant to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop. Said identification to the law enforcement officer shall be required upon the demand of the law enforcement officer. No person shall be required to identify himself or herself as a handgun licensee or as lawfully in possession of any other firearm if the law enforcement officer does not demand the information. No person shall be required to identify himself or herself as a handgun licensee when no handgun is in the possession of the person or in any vehicle in which the person is driving or is a passenger. Any violator of the provisions of this subsection may be issued a citation for an amount not exceeding One Hundred Dollars ($100.00).
https://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=69791

All that being said, If I get stopped, I do notify and give the officer my CC card along with the DL.
If they ask me to remove or handle my firearm that is when the issue develops. In this day and time of body cams it isn't happening. A supervisor will need to be called.
I've been stopped a couple of times and the interaction has been good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom