Cyclists

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your point?

When we have a thread about speeders, left lane hogs or the inevitable 2WD vs. 4WD thread, are those "anti-motorist" threads? :anyone:

My point is, why another such thread?

new3.fjcdn.com_thumbnails_comments_Best_site_on_the_internet_t03677635996edb8305c19b6a6315b871.gif

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The other thread was about cyclists riding on major commute routes during peak traffic times?

IIRC, it grew to encompass all sorts of cycling on roads shared with motorized vehicles. It went on for quite a few pages.

This is not an anti-cyclists thread, or it didn't start out that way.

It was inevitable. Even the video of the diesel truck gassing the cyclists was in the other thread.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IIRC, it grew to encompass all sorts of cycling on roads shared with motorized vehicles. It went on for quite a few pages.

It was inevitable. Even the video of the diesel truck gassing the cyclists was in the other thread.

I see. So this isn't an "anti-cyclist" thread, so much as a thread that may upset some cyclists. The diesel vid is not really on topic for this thread and pretty much shows that at least one diesel truck enthusiast is a *********.

One person has brought up riding more than two abreast, which is apparently not legal on public roads. Other than these two posts, it seems the focus is on the wisdom in exposing one's self to heightened danger in the pursuit of whatever it is rush hour cyclists are pursuing.

How is that “anti-cyclist”???

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see. So this isn't an "anti-cyclist" thread, so much as a thread that may upset some cyclists. The diesel vid is not really on topic for this thread and pretty much shows that at least one diesel truck enthusiast is a *********.

One person has brought up riding more than two abreast, which is apparently not legal on public roads. Other than these two posts, it seems the focus is on the wisdom in exposing one's self to heightened danger in the pursuit of whatever it is rush hour cyclists are pursuing.

How is that “anti-cyclist”???

I debated all day about posting in this thread, or not. Mostly since, if it did turn into an anti-cyclist thread, there'd be little I (or anyone else) could say to change the sentiment.

That said, I don't think this has turned into an anti-cyclist thread yet, and i hope that it wont. But it's OSA, so lets just say i'm skeptical.

To a couple of points before i address the OP topic. Yes, most states don't allow riding more than two wide, but it does happen. It also happens that the 2-wide lines are staggered so they appear wider than 2-wide from behind. Sometimes it happens out of safety, other times because people are talking. It happens.

I also agree about the ********* comment, though videoing the act does make it easier to catch and prosecute the driver, but that is another matter.

Bike lanes aren't always the safety lane of travel and sidewalks are a big no-no (and often illegal to ride down). It really just depends on how well built and maintained the bike lane is. The ones near where i live are often filled with glass from litterbugs and our city didn't budget for regular street sweeping last year. I'll still use them when i need to, though, but the amount of trash and debris in them does make them unsafe in spots.

To the OP, i'd guess i'd say that your question is probably only answered by the person you saw as there are many reasons. That could be the person's only means of transportation or that spot on that road is the only 'risky' area. Or that they were late and took a different route. Or new to the area. Etc etc. Sometimes people are dumb and/or sometimes they might expect drivers to also follow the rules of the road (see, i said also, as in everyone should be... But i'm sure someone will attack that last one).

Each rider makes his or her own choice about acceptable levels of risk. I personally don't know why someone would want to do wheelies down an interstate going 100mph on a crotch rocket, but it happens.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a cycling commuter I don't feel any "anti cyclist" stigma from this thread. In fact a number of things were pointed out that also piss me off. Although I'm probably the exception and not the rule. Other cyclists would probably argue about riding 3-4 abreast saying it's for safety and keeps up the speed of the group, thereby further reducing injury if one is hit. But I would personally argue that it stems from a lack of consideration for others. It's kinda funny if you look at the subdivisions of the cycling community. You have the fitness/group riders who will generally spend exorbitant amounts of money on anything the guys in their local bike shop tells them to, the fixie/singlespeed crowd who typically just want it to work well and value durability and ease of maintenance (generally the guys who work on their own bikes), the mtn bikers who are then split into subdivisions based on the kind of trails they ride, the commuters who are generally cheap @sses that don't know how to work on their own bikes, but don't wanna pay someone else to do it properly, and then wonder why you sold them a sh!tty product. And etc etc ad nauseum. Furthermore, I don't really feel like I'm breaching my own acceptable levels of risk, but then again I typically ride by myself through low traffic areas.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with them riding in the street if they stay as far to the right as possible so I can pass them without having to go completely into the other lane to pass. No reason their dumbass needs to ride in the middle of the lane unless they are traveling the speed limit and not impeding the flow of traffic.

I guess my thought is, I pay road use taxes when I buy fuel for my enviro killing machine, therefore I shouldn't have to deal with someone traveling 25 mph under the posted speed limit because they want to make a statement.

Then again, it's your right as well as your life. Only you can decide what's more important.

Latest posts

Top Bottom