Cyclists

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
I guess my thought is, I pay road use taxes when I buy fuel for my enviro killing machine, therefore I shouldn't have to deal with someone traveling 25 mph under the posted speed limit because they want to make a statement.

Yep, in Tulsa there are a vocal minority of cyclists who have gotten the city to spend millions on bike trails and still aren't satisfied, demanding the city spend millions more for dedicated bike lanes on just about every street in the city.

Do they pay anything to fund these expensive improvements to cater to an exceeding small minority of the population? Nope, and they squeal like stuck pigs at the suggestion that they should contribute their fair share to help pay for the "improvements" they desire.

I say, if these freeloaders want the same rights to the road as motorists, while still being considered pedestrians with right of way, they should pay their fair share through licensing and taging their bicycles or shut the hell up.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do they pay anything to fund these expensive improvements to cater to an exceeding small minority of the population?

I don't disagree with the premise of your post, but this is a bit disingenuous. Most of them are paying the same taxes as everyone else who don't use lanes. Most cyclists own property and cars like everyone else. They just don't pay excise and registration taxes on their bicycles (aside from sales taxes on those). I'd be curious how much of the bike plan budget (ran by city and county and River Parks) comes from bond improvements versus OTC collections on vehicle excise collections.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, in Tulsa there are a vocal minority of cyclists who have gotten the city to spend millions on bike trails and still aren't satisfied, demanding the city spend millions more for dedicated bike lanes on just about every street in the city.

Do they pay anything to fund these expensive improvements to cater to an exceeding small minority of the population? Nope, and they squeal like stuck pigs at the suggestion that they should contribute their fair share to help pay for the "improvements" they desire.

I say, if these freeloaders want the same rights to the road as motorists, while still being considered pedestrians with right of way, they should pay their fair share through licensing and taging their bicycles or shut the hell up.

Bingo...

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
I don't disagree with the premise of your post, but this is a bit disingenuous. Most of them are paying the same taxes as everyone else who don't use lanes. Most cyclists own property and cars like everyone else. They just don't pay excise and registration taxes on their bicycles (aside from sales taxes on those). I'd be curious how much of the bike plan budget (ran by city and county and River Parks) comes from bond improvements versus OTC collections on vehicle excise collections.

The amount of investment the city makes and has made is exceedingly disproportionate to the percentage of the population that actually use these amenities, no matter how the cyclists try to lawyer it to make it seem like this isn't just another entitlement program that everyone else subsidizes way more for than they should to cater to a very small segment of the population.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmm

1. I drive a car, truck, motorhome, motorcycle, etc..etc...and don't see it as "anti driver" when someone posts something about someone in a vehicle being a douche..LOTS of vehicle drivers are idiots....so why should people complaining about douche bike riders be taken as anti bicycle?

2. I think riding bikes is great....its good for the folks riding them, saves fuel, noise, etc....

3. BUT........... It is VERY VERY true that there are groups of drama queens/kings, Prima Donna's, and those who think just because they spent 5 grand on a bike and fancy duds that they own the roads. THOSE are the turds I can't stand. They see or hear ya coming THEN spread out over the whole lane...and go 8mph in a 45. Most of the time in a no passing zone. REALLY??? "we're watching out for our safety"....********...you're being a dick. If you're watching out for your safety, move over, signal to others and signal to the vehicle driver to make sure he sees you. And maybe try waving once in a while...might work wonders.

I've had conversations with some of these idiots...and they are snotty holier than thou's.

Now...I also personally know some other bike riders that are really cool folks and when you see them riding they acknowledge that in fact its up to THEM to make sure they do the right things on the road and get along with motorists as much as it is the motorists job.

Anyways...if you are one of the ********* riders....then own your douchebaggery and change your ways. If not LIVE WITH THE RIDICULE...LOL. If you're one of the good biking folks...THANK YOU MUCH!!! : )

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The amount of investment the city makes and has made is exceedingly disproportionate to the percentage of the population that actually use these amenities, no matter how the cyclists try to lawyer it to make it seem like this isn't just another entitlement program that everyone else subsidizes way more for than they should to cater to a very small segment of the population.

Again, I agree but that's not what your first allegation was. You stated:

Do they pay ["freeloaders"] anything to fund these expensive improvements

and the answer would be yes, though a qualified yes. It's disproportionate, sure. But they ARE paying, on the whole, the same per capita expenses as the average payer (actually probably higher, as I'd suspect their incomes and tax rates are above average).

Though you are free to ride a bike and take advantage of it just as freely as RidgeHunter or Paul Tay. It's not like it's restricted to only the present cyclist community.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

how many people use the trails compared to the population, or are you just generalizing? Also, the trails seem to be available to all residents and visitors to tulsa, are they not?

A city's choice to invest in parks, trails and alternative transportation methods seems like an issue to take up with the mayor and city council, not the people that do choose to use those services.

Also, having served on an advisory committee to a city, the fact that you think cyclists can 'demand' a city do anything is pretty funny.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with them riding in the street if they stay as far to the right as possible so I can pass them without having to go completely into the other lane to pass. No reason their dumbass needs to ride in the middle of the lane unless they are traveling the speed limit and not impeding the flow of traffic.

I guess my thought is, I pay road use taxes when I buy fuel for my enviro killing machine, therefore I shouldn't have to deal with someone traveling 25 mph under the posted speed limit because they want to make a statement.

Then again, it's your right as well as your life. Only you can decide what's more important.

I don't know if Oklahoma has the law, but many states have a 3-foot passing buffer for cars and cyclists. Riding all the way over isn't always safe since cars sometimes think they can squeeze by without even exiting the lane at all. I'm not advocating riding all the way on the center line, but there are reasons that someone doesn't ride as far to the right as possible.

Also, i'm not sure which cyclists you are referring to who 'want to make a statement', but there are lots of reasons that someone might have to choose to ride a bike.

Finally, most cyclists i know where i live also own cars and pay taxes. I'm not sure why it matters if the money i contribute goes towards roads i drive on or ride my bike on. Either way, i've paid to build, maintain and use the roads, just like someone in a car.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3. BUT........... It is VERY VERY true that there are groups of drama queens/kings, Prima Donna's, and those who think just because they spent 5 grand on a bike and fancy duds that they own the roads. THOSE are the turds I can't stand. They see or hear ya coming THEN spread out over the whole lane...and go 8mph in a 45. Most of the time in a no passing zone. REALLY??? "we're watching out for our safety"....********...you're being a dick. If you're watching out for your safety, move over, signal to others and signal to the vehicle driver to make sure he sees you. And maybe try waving once in a while...might work wonders.

I've had conversations with some of these idiots...and they are snotty holier than thou's.

Cyclists can be dicks. Drivers can be dicks. People can be dicks. I personally think that the people who act like dicks while cycling are also going to act like a dick while driving, and that the drivers who act like dicks while i'm riding are probably dicks in life.

Latest posts

Top Bottom