Deer Season 2014

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacque1282

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely some good deer taken this year! Congrats everyone! I thought I was done for the season and gonna take it easy after my buck, but our chest freezer went out and we lost everything we had in it. Went to Lowe's got a new one and had it brought over, and they called from Terry's saying my buck from last week was ready. My husband dropped a tall 7 yesterday, so we are getting restocked. Now if we each fill our archery tags, we should be good to go for the year. Good luck to those still out there!

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry in advance for the long post

We went out this morning and got skunked, didn't even see one...no biggie, it happens. The stars were absolutely beautiful and i love just sitting in the outdoors : ) (just a hunt day report)

We also got to all our cameras today (Haven't been able to because of the swampy conditions and not wanting to disturb certain areas too much right now) and checked pics and quite a decline of deer action on the cameras. (Much like some others are reporting) We did get a doe the other day during the period when there was little deer activity on the cameras so we've seen quite a shift in their patterns, which i know is a partially normal due to rut activity, weather, being deep into deer season, etc.

The pics are showing a few problems. First there's one hog that seems to be EVERYWHERE all the time....got probably 20 good pictures of it between all the cameras. He will soon be pork roast. : ) That's the only pig we've seen.

Racoons. Holymoly...there seems to be tons of them. They are all over too. Eating everything in site and definitely sparring with the deer over food. We've got pics of them where they appear to be "defending" the corn....lol

"Neighbors" dogs...i've heard the dogs (not coyotes) barking over in the other half of the property where I park just about everytime i've been out. They even came and "visited" in person when we were out there working one afternoon. That's the only time we saw them in person, but this morning when we got back to the truck they had pissed on the tire of my truck not long before we got there, So that confirmed that they are CLOSE when we're around and probably affecting deer movement. I've also seen them on the cameras a few times. Not sure what to do here as i'm not even thinking of shooting anyone's dogs of course...and the dogs owner has cattle in the area and i know the dogs are helping to keep the coyotes kinda run off...but i know they are affecting the deer too. So i'll just have to deal with that one.

Coyotes.... Haven't seen any on camera.. But man o man...there is a TON of them in the area. Saw one when leaving the blind one day..didn't get a chance to exterminate it. I hear what seems like bazillions ALL OVER the area in the mornings and evenings...LOTS. So...there will be some coyote hunting going on.

Like i mentioned before, this area is new to me, so i'm having to learn it and now i'll be able to address a few of the problems and hopefully get the deer population up and keep them in the area. There has not been any "management" in the area perviously so maybe a good food plot, zone feeding and mineral "program" and not overhunting will do wonders. I hear that there's not a lot of hunting at all being done in the area, but don't know how reliable that is. I should have this place for seven more years..so there's time. Have pictures of some nice deer there and there's tracks ALL OVER the property and i've got several new camera positions to set up too..so it's encouraging.

Anyways..that's all for now. Hope eveyone continues to have good luck and be safe!!

P.S. we heard 4 shotgun rounds go off quite a ways west of us this morning, then shortly after saw the BIGGEST flock of ducks i think i've ever seen in my life come from that area and over towards us....i can't even estimate a count but there was a BUNCHHHHH. Kinda neat to see...and it gave me a chance to make noise with my cheese cracker wrapper and zip tying my new cup holder onto the blind while they were flying around making a LOT of noise...HAHAHHA. So whoever was duck hunting this morning...thanks..LOLOL

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some more great deer posted here, way to go everyone! I have had a pretty tough season, have had opportunities on a couple of decent bucks that I passed, but no great bucks. My brother was here from Florida all last week, we hunted 9 straight days, he had an opportunity on a monster last Tuesday morning at 40-45 yards, the thumb on his glove hung up his safety and the deer spooked before he could get it resolved....man he was disappointed, but we had a great time together and hunted hard. And.....the big buck still lives! work keeping me out of the woods this week until probably Sat morning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom