Ever think about retiring to another country?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I retired just over three years ago,,,
I had the opportunity to just drop everything here,,,
And relocate to another state/city where I could retire comfortably.

I did do some research on south/central American countries,,,
But again I know what it's like to live with another language/culture,,,
None of the financial inducements/advantages outweighed my present state/status.

I'm not rich by any means,,,
I live in a dumpy old mobile home,,,
And my property is in a small town with no amenities.

But everything is paid for so I decided that moving would not be advantageous,,,
My two pensions (OTRS and SS) provide enough money to live worry free,,,
So I decided that nothing would be gained by a move.

But I did seriously consider Arizona,,,
Just to escape from tornado alley.

Aarond

Bravo1413

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I retired just over three years ago,,,
I had the opportunity to just drop everything here,,,
And relocate to another state/city where I could retire comfortably.

I did do some research on south/central American countries,,,
But again I know what it's like to live with another language/culture,,,
None of the financial inducements/advantages outweighed my present state/status.

I'm not rich by any means,,,
I live in a dumpy old mobile home,,,
And my property is in a small town with no amenities.

But everything is paid for so I decided that moving would not be advantageous,,,
My two pensions (OTRS and SS) provide enough money to live worry free,,,
So I decided that nothing would be gained by a move.

But I did seriously consider Arizona,,,
Just to escape from tornado alley.

Aarond

Moved from California to Arizona in 1978. Lived in Scottsdale for 25 years. Phoenix area and surrounding growing like crazy. Retired in 2004, moved to small town in mountains (payson) lived there 15 years. Got so bad with valley people (Phoenix) coming up the hill to escape heat in summer and wanting snow fun in winter, that the highway was backed up 15 miles. Moved to Ok. 5 years ago. Bought 30 acres and am much happier. Don’t need the congestion anymore. Yeah, I’m old.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I researched it extensively. Ecuador was my focus after some research of other areas. Its cheap to live and the natives all speak English. There are already over 5000 American Expats in one area on the coast.
The downfalls are Medical care (still questionable to me), the process of relocation is a giant nightmare and forget owning a gun. Also as of the last few years Government unrest there is going on, much like here. Also I never got a straight answer on the IRS and SS.
So I decided to ixnay the idea. Might take 2 weeks and just go see it for myself one day and that maybe all it takes to solidify my decision. Puerto Rico offers much of the benefits without having to change citizenship.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I researched it extensively. Ecuador was my focus after some research of other areas. Its cheap to live and the natives all speak English. There are already over 5000 American Expats in one area on the coast.
The downfalls are Medical care (still questionable to me), the process of relocation is a giant nightmare and forget owning a gun. Also as of the last few years Government unrest there is going on, much like here. Also I never got a straight answer on the IRS and SS.
So I decided to ixnay the idea. Might take 2 weeks and just go see it for myself one day and that maybe all it takes to solidify my decision. Puerto Rico offers much of the benefits without having to change citizenship.
Add Panama to your list. English speaking. US Dollar. Good healthcare.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Uruguay is the only central/south american country with decent gun laws for citizens and some semblance of political stability with low corruption. I need to do more research though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom