kind of odd

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was out at our local range the other evening testing some new loads with my son. Couple of guys next to us were shooting AR looking .22's which had removable cans and what looked like red dot sights sitting on top. When they were shooting without the cans, they could run NEARLY a full mag before jamming. They'd put the can on and maybe get two rounds before stopping to clear a jam. I did not go over to see what they were using as I did not want to embarass them. They acted as if it were normal. Is it USUAL for a can to cause that kind of problems on .22's?

I had been thinking about getting a stamp and a can and threading my 10/22 but now I wonder.

Looked like they'd spent a good deal of cash. Have yet to have my old cheap 10/22 to stop.....but then I don't have a can.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My .22 AR runs great with & without the can.

A can adds pressure to the action cylce.
They probably need to tweak their springs in the BCG.
It's probably just on the verge of failing without the can & the added pressure is causing a problem.
Myself, I would not be content with a malfunctioning rifle just because I added a can.
It can & should run right!!!!

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was out at our local range the other evening testing some new loads with my son. Couple of guys next to us were shooting AR looking .22's which had removable cans and what looked like red dot sights sitting on top. When they were shooting without the cans, they could run NEARLY a full mag before jamming. They'd put the can on and maybe get two rounds before stopping to clear a jam. I did not go over to see what they were using as I did not want to embarass them. They acted as if it were normal. Is it USUAL for a can to cause that kind of problems on .22's?

I had been thinking about getting a stamp and a can and threading my 10/22 but now I wonder.

Looked like they'd spent a good deal of cash. Have yet to have my old cheap 10/22 to stop.....but then I don't have a can.

My guess is 1 of 2 things was happening. 1. they were running cheap a@@ ammo. or 2. they had not cleaned their rifles in a long while. .22 ammo is dirty anyway so you have run good stuff and keep the rifle/pistol clean. It is just the nature of the beast. JMHO.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
The 10-22s run great with a suppressor, but they do get dirty much quicker. I get about 250 out of mine before I need to strip out the entire trigger group, but mine is intergral so it gets a bit more gas bleed back.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a couple of these setups and here are my findings.

My 10/22 with or without the can runs great but only on the cheap ammo. For some reason the CCI ammo in particular does not run in my rifle. Like Kurt stated .22 is VERY dirty and supressed .22 is even more so.

My Ar-15 with dedicated .22 upper has been very picky about lots of things including the can. This rifle runs best with the supressor attached and is somewhat more picky without the can. It will also only run with the cheap federal bulk pack ammo. All of the reliability issues that I have these days seem to be magazine related. I got a 50 round BDM drunm mag about two weeks ago that has been nearly 100% in function, all of my other mags fall short of this with some of them running better than others. As luck would have it the feed lips broke off of my oldest and most reliable mag while loading it for the first stage of the rifle match last weekend. lol.

I did get a chance to put a few rounds through a Nordic Components .22 upper recently and it ran 100% while I was there. I either fired personally or withnessed a solid 1000 rounds without any failure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom