Lubricant for AR-15?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Synthetic motor oil. A light coat is fine for storage, but for shooting I'm not real sure that it's possible to over oil an AR. They like to run wet. CLP is fine, but as mentioned it burns off fairly quick. Motor oil hangs better.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's dripping then you are using the right amount.

I fixed you. AR's like to be run wet. If you're running them hard, run them very wet.

SLIP 2000 is very good. I like Mobil 1, because it works great and is cheaper. Tastes great-less filling

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're shooting high volume and need to lube constantly and all the time. Use synthetic mobile 1 oil. It's cheap and you can wet your bolt down to your hearts content. However, motor oil stinks and I can't stand the smell.

If you you've got money and want to use what most regard as one of THE best lubricants specifically for AR's, use Slip2000 EWL. Google BCM Filthy 14. Great stuff and not terribly expensive.

If you are just a range guy or don't ever see yourself running 1000 rounds in a day multiple times a month or year, break free CLP is good enough and easily found everywhere.

If you're a bit adventurous and want to try the latest craze in wonder lubes, try frog lube. So far, it's been getting rave reviews and may soon replace Slip2000 EWL as the preferred lube if it keeps going the way it is. Frog lube comes in liquid form or grease form. The thing about frog lube is that it soaks into the pores of the metal and heat is what releases it. They recommend heating your parts slightly before applying.

I personally use Slip 2000 EWL. Frog lube is a bit too expensive for me. If I was the type who lubed and basically didn't clean until after about 1000 rounds, then Frog Lube would make sense. However, I'm a bit OCD when it comes to cleaning so it would be a waste of money for me since I would be cleaning off and reapplying it everytime after a trip to the range. Because of that, I'll stick with Slip 2000 EWL ;)

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used many different types of oils for the AR. I am always skeptical of marketing hype, but Slip 2000 EWL is the real deal. I won't repeat what was said above, but if the carrier and bolt are still wet after 400 consecutive rapid fire rounds, I am a believer.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I use break free for cleaning and then use Lucas gun oil to slick things up. I just did a 3 gun match yesterday where I used 400ish rounds on pistol 200ish rounds on rifle and 100ish rounds on shotgun. All 3 weapons were still wet when I cleaned them this morning.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used DOW dry assembley lube for mini kar clutchs and guns with no problems , spray it on ,let it dry , it take the heat and close fitting parts and keeps on working.

Latest posts

Top Bottom