Lubricant for AR-15?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy2000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah the video I saw on YouTube with the wheel bearing grease being used on AR was made by a man whose handle is jamesyeager, the video is titled simply "AR 15 lubrication". I went ahead and got my can of bearing grease out and applied it. I don't like to buy fancy stuff just for the sake of it. I put just a thin layer on my rails and bcg. I'll watch how it goes after shooting a couple hundred rounds outdoors.

I still havent figured out a cheapie solvent (non gun store stuff). I guess hoppes is no big deal since its at Walmart.

tman

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a little moly ep grease for the moving metal on metal parts and light oil on the rest. I suppose in a clean environment it will be ok but I wouldn't do that if I was in a dirty or sandy environment though.

Cowboy2000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Brake cleaner and wheel bearing grease. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll just go to auto zone to get what I need instead of paying for that high dollar stuff on the internet plus shipping costs.

shorton

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on AR's by any means, but I would think putting grease inside would be a bad thing. I have watched several viideos on youtube by a guy who goes by the name Hicock45. He seems to know a little about a lot, and has several videos on disassembly and cleaning, including AR's. He uses a cleaner that has an oil added into it that I think is called Baristol? Not sure about the name, but you might check it out and see what you think. He owns a gun range so I would think he knows what he's talking about, just sayin.

Latest posts

Top Bottom