Medical Bag: Do you have one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Weasel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a time i was hip to emergency services. Today, its just hold the fort down till the pro's get there. Call for help, Ensure enviroment is safe, ABC's, try to control bleeding, prevent shock.

If its shtf time, ill do my best with whatevers at hand.

That's what my bag is for, something is better than nothing but not planning on removing anybody spleen in the back of my truck with a box knife and a flashlight just sayin. Just want to be able to get them to the people with the skill. In a SHTF we all probably going to bleed out anyways.

wegnerracing

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ordered a medical bag/kit from medcallassist.com. They even sell you antibiotics and other prescription only medicines. I thought the prices were pretty decent for what you get.

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Duct tape & tampons. I'm not going to even try to list it all, but my kit even includes IV kits. Body needs fluids quick if you bleed a lot. If no IV available the rectum is a fast way to rehydrate someone also...

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sanitary napkins and tampons are cheaper and as sterile as gauze pads. Normally more absorbent also. Combat medicine isn't pretty, but your life is worth more than your comfort.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't overlook the simple stuff. Think about taking a long vacation. What do you carry in your luggage? What do you use daily or at least once in a while? In all of my bags I keep a smaller bag full of things like aspirin, ibuprofen, antihistamines, antidiarrheal, Visine, NeoSporin, anti-itch, Tums, cold medicine, tweezers, X-Acto knife, New Skin, 4x4s, CoBan, etc. Anytime I need something like that in a normal day I add it to my bag.

For those that don't know, CoBan is a self adhering bandage wrap. For holding your gauze ( or tampon) in place. Only sticks to itself. Also known as vet wrap (brand name StyVet). Cheap when bought as vet wrap. Atwoods just had it on sale for $.99/roll. That's another thing. Look at animal supplies for same products much cheaper.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sanitary napkins and tampons are cheaper and as sterile as gauze pads. Normally more absorbent also. Combat medicine isn't pretty, but your life is worth more than your comfort.

A thing to note about tampons is that they are great for absorbing blood, but not great for stopping it. To stop a bleeder that needs packing, a tampon isn't preferable. Some simple Z packed gauze packed to the bone is a much better way to go. Combat gauze if you're fancy. I remember hearing somewhere the Rangers had some issues with tampons and bleeders, from Tacmedic maybe?

Coban/ vet wrap is great; however don't overlook an ace bandage. If you don't bleed all over it they're reusable. Something else to consider is the cravat/triangular bandage. They can be used as a sling/swath, bandage, TQ etc. Plus the safety pins can be improvised wound closures, splinter remover, used to hold the tongue out of the airway etc. The only thing to remember is the pins arent steril.

Latest posts

Top Bottom