mobility scooter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
anybody here know about mobility scooters? I can walk like normal but not for long distances and it's a half mile hike from the parking lot into the building I work in at the prison. I want something light enough I can lift in and out of the back of my truck that will still haul my 6'5" 270lb carcass and not wipe out my bank account. under 3k would be nice

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're talking about something like these, you can get them for less than 3k. When we were shopping for one for my mother a couple of years ago, I think they were more like $1300 and it's not at all hard to find a reasonably new used one. I dunno about lifting them in and out of your truck, maybe the "travel" models but even those are 80 pounds or so, but they make carriers that you can mount on the back of your truck to haul them, maybe some of them raise and lower to load/unload it? I don't know anything about the carriers....

These are all I know anything at all about, and I don't know that much about them....

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can probably get a mobility scooter through your insurance, and probably only at the bargain price of 250% of retail.

They make tilt-bed mobility scooter racks that mount to the hitch receiver on a truck—it works like a tilt-bed trailer, it just sits parallel to the tailgate. I’m pretty sure that’s what my old boss had while he was using one after one of his surgical escapades, but that was many moons ago, and I can no longer ask him about it. :(

It may not help at the prison, but you could also get a handicapped placard and park in the handicapped spaces so you don’t have to walk as far.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use to sell them but that has been many moons ago. Pride, Invacare, Golden were the best brands and most had lite travel style scooters. I would have to research the current models but even Walmart offers small scooters for around $700. You will either need a lift, ramp, or be prepared to break it down with pretty much anything you get.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there, have you thought about a 3 wheel bicycle if your parking lot is paved it shouldnt take much effort to get around with one unless it is a uphill at any point and it would be good exercise for your legs and might get them to where you can walk farther quicker than in the past.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can probably get a mobility scooter through your insurance, and probably only at the bargain price of 250% of retail.

They make tilt-bed mobility scooter racks that mount to the hitch receiver on a truck—it works like a tilt-bed trailer, it just sits parallel to the tailgate. I’m pretty sure that’s what my old boss had while he was using one after one of his surgical escapades, but that was many moons ago, and I can no longer ask him about it. :(

It may not help at the prison, but you could also get a handicapped placard and park in the handicapped spaces so you don’t have to walk as far.
I park in the handicap and it's still half a mile . I could lift 150lb or under into the bed of my truck with no problem, just struggle to walk a long way

Latest posts

Top Bottom