My old Suburban

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Was this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But really tho, it's whatever. My 2007 Tacoma is likely the last vehicle I'll buy brand new. I'm pushing 230k on in now, luckily with no major repairs, but if/when **** starts breaking - it will get fixed (upgraded if possible) regardless of cost. I like it. It works. Reliable. Huge offroad aftermarket support.

Drive what you like. I think it's still better than how most people spend their transportation budget.

This is how I feel about my 2008 Ram. I love the thing. Heck, thanks to some deployments and increased driving of my "beater" 2005 Accord, I haven't even hit 100k on it yet. It's gonna last a long time at this rate.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think you're dumb.. Every time I see the cost of a brand new truck, I think more and more I'll probably never buy a brand new one. I bought my 2005 when it was right at 5 years old.

And if you paid for all of that outright, then you are probably already ahead. Save up what you would have made in payments, and by the time you'll need to spend a lot, you'll have it. As opposed to paying years worth of interest on something that is losing value by the day...

The biggest negative is probably worse gas mileage. But you knew that getting a suburban. Haha.

1min2midnight

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dumbass for not finding a 67-72 for that money. Then you'd have a truck worth more than what you put into it that would keep increasing in value.
I did not want a 67 to 72. Yes it would have been a better investment but not what I wanted. What I wanted was either a new burb on a 90's. I did look at a few late 80's but just did not find the right one. And for everyone who wants to know about financials it is all cash. I'm out of cash now though for this project. I will have to earn more. Hopefully it runs good for just a little bit.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Congrats on not buying new. I just purchased a 12' F350 with 57k miles on it. The sticker on it was in the high $60k's, fast forward 4 years and 57k miles and I barely paid half for it.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did not want a 67 to 72. Yes it would have been a better investment but not what I wanted. What I wanted was either a new burb on a 90's. I did look at a few late 80's but just did not find the right one. And for everyone who wants to know about financials it is all cash. I'm out of cash now though for this project. I will have to earn more. Hopefully it runs good for just a little bit.

Have no regrets, then. I like it when people keep old vehicles on the road. It's a Chevy 4x4 with one of the most common engines ever made. They take parts that will always exist everywhere. It probably won't cost you much to keep it on the road from here on out.

I think new truck and SUV prices are beyond stupid. Especially the large domestics. They are so far out of pace with nice, new 2 and 4 door cars it's absurd. They've just become a status symbol for soccer moms, rednecks, and 'business owners' that like to be seen in new $50-$75k rides every year or two.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
What I find amazing is that you can drop 14K on a vehicle but you don't own a phone with a camera so you can post pics of the beast!

(I like old Suburbans!)

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agree w/whatever floats your boat. New trucks are ridiculous on their prices and they can keep 'em...

my son recently bought a used Denali that should last awhile. His Tahoe lasted a long time.

Last edited:

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I voted bad idea. I don't think you did anything dumb per se but you could have bought a classic 60s 'burb, put the same amount of money into it and really have something. As it is you've got a pile of money in a cookie cutter vehicle that will continue to nickel and dime you in the future. Peace

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Most likely a wash either way. Too many unknowns.

Buy the old car, put a chunk into it, and it continues to eat money for repairs, you lost. If it doesn't take much more after that, and becomes a "desirable" old car (it will be over 25 years old in 6 years), then you're ahead.

IF you bought the new car, and invested the $10k (gonna have up front costs, TTT, extras most people end up adding), and you do well on the investment, and it doesn't need any repairs outside of warranty, you're ahead on the new car.

Either purchase could be better or worse than the other. It just depends on whether you'd rather be $50k+ in debt and drive a newer vehicle or not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom