Never seen it happen before

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ya in 71 I bought a Ford 3/4 ton Camper Special for $3000.00 out the door. Of course I was only making something like 15,000 a year at the time.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought a 04.5 Cummins 4x4 with 170k a few years ago for $9500. Cleaned it up really nice, Drove it for 3 years, the front end needed rebuilt, I forgot to replace the front driveshaft and skid plate. Rear end was sloppy, transmission was getting eaten up by the tune, and I think it was needing an injector soon. Traded it in with 230k miles on it with the radio and amps pulled from the truck, driveshaft and skid plate still sitting in my garage for 10,900.
Have a Silverado now, just paid it off. I’m saving and waiting for the day that I can trade it in for a newish Cummins again.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did really well once before. I bought a new 2001 Toyota Tundra TRD 4X2 for $21.7K. Two and a half years later I traded it in on a 2003 WRX. It had 32K on the odometer and needed new tires. Trade value was $18.5K, which I thought was pretty damn good.

I think I just outdid that. I bought a gently used 2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 with 8,200 on the odometer in late 2003. I think we paid $26K for it? 18 years later it had 101K on the odometer and was due a timing belt replacement. I listed it on Craigslist for $9,650. It sold for full asking price in 2 hours. That's about $2K ABOVE the highest listed KBB value for an excellent condition example. It also means a 37% residual value after 18 years of ownership, when most vehicles lose 50% in 5 years. I only lost 3.5% value per year on it over the 18 years I had it. :)

The wild part was I wound up getting 29 inquiries on it from 4 different states. One guy from Colorado offered $1K above my asking price sight unseen, and he'd fly down the next day to get it, primarily because it didn't have any frame rust issues.

Right now it is definitely a seller's market if you have anything decent for sale, especially a Toyota. :)

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The value of the dollar is dropping like a rock. I read that February inflation rate was 2.6%, for 1 month. That’s been about the increase year over year for the past few years, the .gov claims anyway.

Also read that 40% of the houses that have sold across the country have sold above the asking price. That’s insane!

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
April CPI numbers are out. These are the numbers reported as inflation.

Related to this thread, used cars and trucks have increase 21% from April 2020 to April 2021.

Gasoline has increased 50%. This doesn't include the spike in fuel we are seeing now triggered by the pipeline hack.

upload_2021-5-12_8-27-25.png

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Dodge 4x4 regular cab with hemi, all options and u-connect....I have offers every other week from dealers wanting to purchase it...it only has 34K miles and I intend to drive it until the wheels come off.....my brother just purchased a new dodge 3/4 ton with every option and diesel and he paid $76K...

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the process of buttoning up some touch up stuff like an exhaust vibration, plug inspection, etc before I put my 2009 CTS-V up for sale. I am hoping I can catch this spike in the next month or two. It would have me breaking even on what I paid for it 5-6 years and 10k miles ago haha. I will still lose the money in modifications, but that is the normal nature of the beast and it was a lot of fun in the process.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I posted this in a buried thread in General. Probably should have posted in this thread.

If you use Credit Karma, they will give values on your vehicles. Although this value is not correct, because it's a value for a gas truck and not a Duramax, this gives an idea of what's currently going on in the used car marketplace.

upload_2021-5-13_13-23-47-png.205663

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the process of buttoning up some touch up stuff like an exhaust vibration, plug inspection, etc before I put my 2009 CTS-V up for sale. I am hoping I can catch this spike in the next month or two. It would have me breaking even on what I paid for it 5-6 years and 10k miles ago haha. I will still lose the money in modifications, but that is the normal nature of the beast and it was a lot of fun in the process.
PM sent....

Latest posts

Top Bottom