Never seen it happen before

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did really well once before. I bought a new 2001 Toyota Tundra TRD 4X2 for $21.7K. Two and a half years later I traded it in on a 2003 WRX. It had 32K on the odometer and needed new tires. Trade value was $18.5K, which I thought was pretty damn good.

I think I just outdid that. I bought a gently used 2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 with 8,200 on the odometer in late 2003. I think we paid $26K for it? 18 years later it had 101K on the odometer and was due a timing belt replacement. I listed it on Craigslist for $9,650. It sold for full asking price in 2 hours. That's about $2K ABOVE the highest listed KBB value for an excellent condition example. It also means a 37% residual value after 18 years of ownership, when most vehicles lose 50% in 5 years. I only lost 3.5% value per year on it over the 18 years I had it. :)

The wild part was I wound up getting 29 inquiries on it from 4 different states. One guy from Colorado offered $1K above my asking price sight unseen, and he'd fly down the next day to get it, primarily because it didn't have any frame rust issues.

Right now it is definitely a seller's market if you have anything decent for sale, especially a Toyota. :)

Wife’s mom that is in assisted living has a 2016 Hyundai Tucson suv she will never drive again as the state pulled her license. 40,000 miles.
I ran the VIN last night on a what’s my car worth app. The appraised price was $12,900.
Then I got a link from Carmax wanting to buy the vehicle for a little over 15K. Drive it in and get a check.
Had no idea the market was this crazy.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The value of the dollar is dropping like a rock. I read that February inflation rate was 2.6%, for 1 month. That’s been about the increase year over year for the past few years, the .gov claims anyway.

Also read that 40% of the houses that have sold across the country have sold above the asking price. That’s insane!

Yes. We are selling MIL’s house that is in assisted living right after the estate sale later this month or early June. Union school district, cheap HOA.
Realtor said to look at comps 6 months ago and add 25%. Don’t fix anything.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. We are selling MIL’s house that is in assisted living right after the estate sale later this month or early June. Union school district, cheap HOA.
Realtor said to look at comps 6 months ago and add 25%. Don’t fix anything.
Add comps? What is that? 25% value of the house?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife’s mom that is in assisted living has a 2016 Hyundai Tucson suv she will never drive again as the state pulled her license. 40,000 miles.
I ran the VIN last night on a what’s my car worth app. The appraised price was $12,900.
Then I got a link from Carmax wanting to buy the vehicle for a little over 15K. Drive it in and get a check.
Had no idea the market was this crazy.

The computer chip shortage is wreaking havoc on the entire industry.

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I posted this in a buried thread in General. Probably should have posted in this thread.

If you use Credit Karma, they will give values on your vehicles. Although this value is not correct, because it's a value for a gas truck and not a Duramax, this gives an idea of what's currently going on in the used car marketplace.

upload_2021-5-13_13-23-47-png.205663
[/QUOTE
Inflation is here in a big way even if the gov says its not...corn, used vehicles and just about everything else is going up, up, up]

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom