No OC in my church

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeranger

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Which brings up an interesting question - Exactly when in history did criminals, or anyone for that matter, start concealing weapons for everyday carry?

In 1541 King Henry VIII passed an act that allowed all persons to lawfully (property ownership of £100) keep firearms but subject to length restrictions when traveling on the King's highways. The act prohibited carrying handguns of less than one yard in length and hagbutts (a portable gun) of less than three-quarters of a yard. The maximum punishment for possession of a short handgun by a person worth less than £100 was a fine of £10. The act also allowed anyone to shoot a handgun or hagbutt in town for the defense of his person or house. The premise was that only criminals carry concealed, whereas honest men carried openly.

Leemaxx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Luke 22:49 When those around Him saw what was going to happen, they said to Him, “Lord, shall we strike with the sword?” 50 And one of them struck the servant of the high priest and cut off his right ear.
51 But Jesus answered and said, “Permit even this.” And He touched his ear and healed him.

Jesus asked his disciples to give up everything, to leave everything and to follow him. And yet they had swords? They had no problem jump to Jesus' defense with "guns a blazing" so to speak? After all they were taught and after all they had witnessed, they still had swords. These men were fishermen, tax collectors, a doctor. Jesus obviously is in support of open carry! ;)

rhobbs

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, not yet. We have discussed no open carry, but not sure how I feel about it. Personally I conceal carry in our church along with several others that I know of. We are in the process of putting together our own security team under CLEET.... for legal reasons.

Just noticed on the door at my church, a small no open carry sign was posted.

Any other church goers noticed the same thing?

oklaccer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Luke 22:49 When those around Him saw what was going to happen, they said to Him, “Lord, shall we strike with the sword?” 50 And one of them struck the servant of the high priest and cut off his right ear.
51 But Jesus answered and said, “Permit even this.” And He touched his ear and healed him.

Jesus asked his disciples to give up everything, to leave everything and to follow him. And yet they had swords? They had no problem jump to Jesus' defense with "guns a blazing" so to speak? After all they were taught and after all they had witnessed, they still had swords. These men were fishermen, tax collectors, a doctor. Jesus obviously is in support of open carry! ;)

Did Jesus support carrying of swords - absolutely. Did Jesus say to carry your sword openly - probably. But it is not specific, so I am not willing to read anything into the scriptures that is not there.
Rev 22:18,19
18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book;
19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Leemaxx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
oklaccer, my post was somewhat tongue and cheek. Do I really think Jesus is in support of OC? I don't think it would be of any concern to him either way. I was really just wanting to point out that the disciples had weapons even in the presence of their Lord and Savior.

oklaccer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
oklaccer, my post was somewhat tongue and cheek. Do I really think Jesus is in support of OC? I don't think it would be of any concern to him either way. I was really just wanting to point out that the disciples had weapons even in the presence of their Lord and Savior.
Understand. Carry on.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
are saying I shouldn't use scripture to prove a point?

I'm not judging... Just pointing out the book, and writings within, were intended to teach... Not be thrown around like some sort of quasi-analytical weapon for one to power posture on. The source of faith probably shouldn't be used to prove anything.

Latest posts

Top Bottom