Nobody is buying s**t these days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I posted a question about this subject a few months back and everyone said it was just private messaging negotiations.
I’m with you, sounds like nothing but horse pucky. Often times people don’t really know what they’re doing, and that’s at gun shops as well as private parties. They look at asking prices on online auction websites and think that’s their guns actual value. They also are unfamiliar with actual grading and think “so my Winchester Model 1886 was tapped for a scope and reblued 60 years ago that can’t hurt the value”. “It’s still gotta be worth $4000-$5000.” Aaaaaaaaaa….nope!
True story, I was working with a guy at the counter of Murf’s in Duncan on a Winchester 1890 that had been fiddled with, amongst other things someone took some sandpaper to the barrel to I’m guessing remove some surface rust. He goes and asks a guy (maybe the owner’s son??) about a price and he comes back with $900. I told him that wouldn’t do and that even after I had the gun reblued it wouldn’t be worth near that. He snaps back “if you reblue it you’ll ruin the collector value”. I think to myself “I hate to tell you this buddy but that ship sailed a long time ago”. No collector is going to want a gun that’s had a piece of sandpaper taken to it and I thought I could at least turn it into a nice shooter for $500 plus the cost if bluing. I just shook my head and walked away. A year later I grabbed this unmolested one for $800 from Merz Antiques.
IMG_5049.jpeg
IMG_5050.jpeg

Last edited:

Veritas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can pretty much tell how the economy is doing by nobody buying anything. Just look in our classified section. Everyone is holding onto their money.
Thoughts and comments please!
HB
My understanding is that there are several companies in the gun industry teetering on the edge of bankruptcy. A few years ago you had those companies competing against each other for peoples “gun money” so somebody had $500 to spend and they were trying to decide if they wanted a Glock or a Smith & Wesson pistol and now, they are competing for people’s grocery and utility money.

SKATA

Leave the gun, take the cannoli
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cost of living is up big time but lots of brand new cars/trucks on the streets. Everyone seems to have iPhones/Apple Watch.
Huge debt. Covid years savings were the norm. Now we have 17 trillion in personal debt. Nationally 34 trillion in debt. When does this house of cards fall !

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I, too, have seen SEVERAL listings I wanted in the classifieds here.
On the other hand, I have 2 , in the last couple of months. So, I agree monies are tighter, but not non-existant.

Ada gunshow on Saturday, disappointing and weird. Good crowd of tables, not packed, but full. Typical overpriced bunch, but a few decent deals. Crowd was anything but, few lookers. Most (90%) sellers, just sat at tables. Not talking to anybody, even when you show interest. Was at 1 table, a guy walks up and says he has a pistol to sell and a table at back sent him . Man looks up and says, "I ain't buying, haven't sold anything, so not buying anything."

2 other tables, potential buyers made offers, we're told "price is marked."

I seen 2 purchases in 3 hours.

I carried a bowling ball and a VCR to the show. Came home with a bowling ball and a VCR.

Bright spot of the day, $7 admission and Wif got in FREE. Not like the $11 PER PERSON at Lawton.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mortgage, loan and credit card rates way up...
Classified ads, more Items, more people selling...
Store Shelves all well stocked
Big ticket items, cars used and new, there are price drops in the last 6 months

All signs of a soft and declining economy, even luxury items prices are dropping. The economy is not good, you can tell by the numbers too, they revise them down after they come up with them. I'm really torn between doomtubers and their predictions and traditional financial publications.

Latest posts

Top Bottom