OC a 'non-event' so far!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAGS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was having lunch today at the local Western Sizzlin. As I went to sit down at a table next to a booth, I asked the woman [who appeared to be in her late 50's] sitting in the booth if my chair was OK.. that I didn't want to crowd her from being able to get in & out without any problem. She said it would be just fine... then laughed.. saying what else would I say, your wearing a gun.

I was wearing a G19 in a Blackhawk Serpa 2 holster. I then heard her tell the man & woman across the booth from her that she thought the new law was terrible and that she was afraid of guns. Her friends told her they weren't the least bit concerned and liked the law. That was when I leaned back in my chair and told her I was just a big teddy bear and she didn't have anything to worry about. I explained that the only difference was that now people with a permit could carry a weapon openly without a thin piece of material like a shirt or vest over their weapon... but they still had to undergo and pass a background check by the local police & sheriff's office, the OSBI and the FBI before they could carry.

She was very surprised... she thought everyone could carry a handgun by buying a simple license just like buying a hunting or fishing license. In the end, she felt a lot better about open carry knowing that people had to pass the background checks... and couldn't have ever been convicted of a felony... many misdemeanors nor under any VPO.

TITLE 21 § 1272.1 CARRYING FIREARMS WHERE LIQUOR IS CONSUMED
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or possess any weapon designated in Section 1272 of this title in any establishment where low-point beer, as defined by Section 163.2 of Title 37 of the Oklahoma Statutes, or alcoholic beverages, as defined by Section 506 of Title 37 of the Oklahoma Statutes, are consumed. This provision shall not apply to a peace officer, as defined in Section 99 of this title, or to private investigators with a firearms authorization when acting in the scope and course of employment, and shall not apply to an owner or proprietor of the establishment having a pistol, rifle, or shotgun on the premises.Provided however, a person possessing a valid handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act may carry the concealed or unconcealed handgun into any restaurant or other establishment licensed to dispense low-point beer or alcoholic beverages where the sale of low-point beer or alcoholic beverages does not constitute the primary purpose of the business.

This to me is definately a privilege.. My CCW lic. is currently issued thru North Carolina where I have spent the last 3 years.. In North Carolina, Concealed nor Open Carry is allowed on any premesis that serves alchohol, period... So being an avid carrier, plus a law abiding citizen, it always irritated me to leave the gun in the car when taking my family out for dinner.. And now that i'm back home here in OKC, and the 1st has brought us new rights, it was a thrilling shock (and i've re'read 1272.1 several times just to be clear!) to beable to keep it on me taking my family out for a steak..

And to chime in on the topic of the thread.. I have not seen any OC'ers either.. Last sunday around 1700 I conducted my only OC @ Del city Walmart, I noticed no responses, but the wife started laughin at one point and informed me that she watched a older lady eye ball me then tugged on her husbands arm, lean in towards his ear and was pointing at me, she said he looked at me then went back to picking out his chicken.. I was shirt tucked in on XD9c in a crossbreed supertuck at 3'oclock.. But hearing all the responses of you guys not noticing any responses, I want to believe that the majority of people don't care or understand that they just have to except it, but scary version is I think alot of it has to do with the lack of situational awareness of the average citizen..

Latest posts

Top Bottom