Oklahoma explores program to charge drivers per mile

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangerRick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just like plate-pay on toll roads, how may paper tags, out of state and no subscribing tribe tags, no tolls collected. but if you pay thru plate-pay they charge almost twice pike pass. how are they going to collect for people that travel thru the state

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For all those opposed to this, what if the state just implemented a flat $200 fee associated with registering your car every year? No tracking of miles, would apply to electric and ICE cars equally, and easy to plan for since its a set amount.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How about a novel new concept “ NO NEW TAXES “
And that equals no new highways. Seriously, I can attest that ODOT prides itself on getting the best bang for improvement for the buck. And only 20% of most projects are state funds. 80% are federal. As a designer for odot, Roadway design division, I scoped over 1000 projects and my main focus was to present a conceptual design that was SAFE but at the lowest cost to achieve that. They built 99 percent of what I pushed and sold to upper management and city councils, saving untold millions of tax payer dollars. Probably more like a billion over 24 years doing that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This concept makes sense with electric vehicles, not paying for the roads, but my concern is they will use draconian surveillance state measures like GPS embedded in the vehicle rather than just periodically checking the odometer on your car like when you renew your license plate. Also, I’m afraid that the gas tax won’t go away so we’ll just be paying two taxes now.
Your vehicle likely already has a GPS tracker built in. My superduty does. I can monitor the location of that vehicle anytime I'm not in it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just like plate-pay on toll roads, how may paper tags, out of state and no subscribing tribe tags, no tolls collected. but if you pay thru plate-pay they charge almost twice pike pass. how are they going to collect for people that travel thru the state
Out of state vehicles have to pay the tolls. The equipment reads the tags, goes to a database and sends a bill.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since road wear and tear is somewhat proportional to vehicle weight I think road taxes should be based on that. Seem's hard to beat for simplicity.
It should be, and the huge number of trucks now days, is a large consideration.
But expect goods to increase also so you still pay.

Latest posts

Top Bottom