Oklahoma explores program to charge drivers per mile

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Disagree, based on what those taxes are targeted for. It certainly not for transportation as a user fee for said roads. Current taxes on tires are for cost of disposal only. Name another.
You said:
Can't put a state tax on a retail item.
which is demonstrably incorrect. What the money is used for is irrelevant; the fact is that the state already has taxes on retail items, which is also demonstrated by the fact that they eliminated the state sales tax on groceries—if they couldn’t put a sales tax on retail items (groceries), then they wouldn’t be able to eliminate it, either.

Putting a tax on tires to support road construction and maintenance may or may not be a good idea, but the fact is that the state could do it if they chose to do so.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You said:

which is demonstrably incorrect. What the money is used for is irrelevant; the fact is that the state already has taxes on retail items, which is also demonstrated by the fact that they eliminated the state sales tax on groceries—if they couldn’t put a sales tax on retail items (groceries), then they wouldn’t be able to eliminate it, either.

Putting a tax on tires to support road construction and maintenance may or may not be a good idea, but the fact is that the state could do it if they chose to do so.
No, if the voters chose it, and only under that circumstance.
I'm more aware of what goes to transportation than I care to talk about and what your stating isn't reality...completely.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You said:

Grocery taxes are a whole other animal, largely imported and the tax spilled over to unimportant foods through loopholes. Where does that money go? It's not transportation unless the legislators give it. It mostly goes to the main budget and rest goes to the general fund.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Disagree, based on what those taxes are targeted for. It certainly not for transportation as a user fee for said roads. Current taxes on tires are for cost of disposal only. Name another.
Then why do they charge a tire disposal fee when you register a out of state purchase of a vehicle and then another fee when you buy new tires.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
how about a tax on tires instead, the more you drive the faster they wear out, i heard don't know if true but EV's are heavier a wear out tires faster. even though i still don't want to pay more taxes!
My insane son has a Tesla and he has to buy new tires every 10,000 miles. That is what they told him anyway but he has not put that many miles on it yet.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, if the voters chose it, and only under that circumstance.
I'm more aware of what goes to transportation than I care to talk about and what your stating isn't reality...completely.
What you know about transportation isn’t really germane to this discussion. Again, what you said was this:
Can't put a state tax on a retail item.
but the state not only can, but does levy taxes on retail items all the time. There is nothing stopping the state of Oklahoma from attaching fees or taxes to the sales of tires within the state of Oklahoma to fund highway maintenance (which is what was proposed in the message to which you responded).

If you were trying to say that ODOT is not able to add taxes or fees on retail sales, that’s probably true, but the original proposition wasn’t restricted to ODOT’s ability to fund itself. The state chose ODOT’s methods of funding, so the state can change those methods whenever it wants. It may take an act of the legislature or an amendment to the state constitution, but the state can do it.

Thatoneokieguy

Marksman
Reaction score
2 things everyone must remember.

1: our dollar is taxed so much that by the time we receive what we spent it on, it's worth less than 20 cents.

2: we already carry a full time gps locator in our pockets everyday

Now the question. Were we ever a free nation? Not in my lifetime here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom