Pickled hard boiled eggs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nich018

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now you are bringing back memories from 71-72 time frame... Spent many an evening in the Gray Fox drinking red beer and normally walking back across OSU campus on "wobbly legs". Sure was great to be able to buy beer with that OSU student ID.....

I remember red beer,Mason Jar, and Eskimo Joe's back in the early '70's. We used to walk from the dorm to Safeway and buy Brown Derby beer. I never could eat the pickled eggs, but did like the sausages.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember red beer,Mason Jar, and Eskimo Joe's back in the early '70's. We used to walk from the dorm to Safeway and buy Brown Derby beer. I never could eat the pickled eggs, but did like the sausages.

How much was the Brown Derby? Sorry, kids, this is bringing back memories. Well in fall of 67 or so I remember getting six packs of Lone Star, cans of course, for .97 cents a pack. We cared less of what it tasted like, we just wanted to have something to wet the whistle as the young girls moved in to the dorms.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back when I was 16 and working at a grocery store, this was 1997 so not toooo long ago, you could still get a 6 pack for 1.99. It was Schlitz, but hey! The price was right! Some cheap cigarettes (Harley Davidson brand, no less) still sold for $89 cents a pack too.

beeradvocate.com_im_beers_263.jpg

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back when I was 16 and working at a grocery store, this was 1997 so not toooo long ago, you could still get a 6 pack for 1.99. It was Schlitz, but hey! The price was right! Some cheap cigarettes (Harley Davidson brand, no less) still sold for $89 cents a pack too.

beeradvocate.com_im_beers_263.jpg

As I stated in an earlier post I drank Schlitz in Chicago and loved it. I was so sick of Coors at the end of the 60's. Before my OSU days I drank Schlitz Malt and Country Club Malt Liqour.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, we need some recipes....

I had a guy I used to work with back in Ada, oh, 10-12 years or so ago, he made some at home that were GREAT! Unfortunately, I didn't get along too well with him at the end days of my employment there, so I'm not too interested in contacting him for the recipe. I made some once when I was in school and I remember them being relatively ok, had some sliced peppers (bell, not hot) in there. The problem I never understood was how my old coworker used to get the brine to penetrate most if not all the way through the egg. I mean, the ones I made, even after weeks and weeks of sitting, only seemed like the outer 1/2" or so of the egg was 'pickled'. And it wasn't like he poked holes in the hard-boiled eggs for greater penetration, they were solid, near as I could tell from the few I got when he brought 'em for us. But mine were pickled outside but just dry as a bone throughout 1/2 of the egg or more. :(

I bought some at a truck stop the other day... at that new convenience store/McDs on the Muskogee Turnpike? OMG... those things were horrendous. I bought two, took one bite, and threw them both away. They were HARD, like... had the consistency of the frogs we pulled out of the formaldehyde buckets in science class, and were bitter as hell. Not like a twang, like no taste just bitter... like I'd taken a mouthful of alum or something! BLECH!

So... some of you egg-masters give us some tips.

And I promise I won't tell my wife your usernames, because she WILL come looking for whomever is ultimately responsible for the pollution of her indoor environment. :D

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They were not free at the Hook nor anyplace that I recall. Do remember in 1970 when I was in Chicago that an upscale bar/restaurant (Mayor's Row) downtown having free horse doervies along with nickel a glass of Schlitz on tap from 4 to 6 PM Monday through Friday, correction only on Wednesdays. We would go in our boots and jeans and all else were in their business suits. After about four weeks they told us we had to wear ties, so we wore our boots, jeans and ties. They did not say anything after that.
. Are you my Dad?

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When Perry lets a healthy fart do fumes consume the air?
The kind that you and I expell, that rot our under wear?

It's a boiled egg thing. You wouldn't understand.

Latest posts

Top Bottom