Post 'em

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]I'm not sure exactly what they're eating or where they're watering right now. I've been on our lease 14 years and the creek has flowed every single year except this year. Last year it didn't start flowing until November, but it did start flowing. This year it's not flowed at all. This is hilly NEOK, so there is a a large lake on an adjoining property and several spring-fed creeks on adjoining properties. All our ponds are dry, save for a scummy puddle of 2" stagnant water. They could easily water at the big lake, a spring, etc, all very close to us.

Mainly I think it's the acorns killing us. All my best spots are acorn flats/ridgetops, and on a normal year you can't keep the deer off them. This year you have to hunt to find a single acorn, and when you cut it open it's rotten inside. I don't seen them having much motivation to frequent my areas with nothing to eat or drink. Usually the acorn flats hold the does and the does bring the bucks in during the rut. I mean we've seen slim acorn years, but like I say I have 14 years there and the other guys have over 20 and we've never seen anything like this.[/QUOTE]

Same problem here. I hunt a bottom crossing area between 2 ridges. Normally I'm crunching acorns as I walk in and out. This year I haven't found any fresh acorns in the bottom or on the ridges. Normally I'm over run with does and haven't seen a one this year. Finally managed to drop a buck this morning. Would have been a nice 8 but all he had on one side was a broken stub and one huge brow tine.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took a doe this morning. Walked directly at her for 500 yards in day light ... it works.
Read how a nice hunt can turn into a nightmare here.

i45.tinypic.com_140dz7r.jpg

P.S. Don't mess with the driver :)

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
all i can say is "proud of my boy, Kai". with the holiday/family schedule going on we finally got to go out. been working on shooting and shot placement for awhile now and i thought he was finally ready. Sunday morning we went out for our first deer hunt ever together. a friend of mine let us out his land. we got set up and this wise ol' doe busted us before we could see her. we waited and seen nothing except for the younger three that where with her. Kai said "i want to get the old one, since she thinks she is so smart". so we went home and kai took a power nap while i recon the area off the internet. we came up with a game plan and went out to the same spot that evening and sat a little ways down from where we were that morning, this way she would have to step out in the open a bit more to see our old spot. the plan was working but i was not planning on the shooter to take his sweet time...it seemed like an eternity to me since i was behind the camera...lol, she wondered around the area and as she was leaving and looking our way almost head on; he dropped the hammer...reviewed the footage right after the shot and he hit her in the inner front chest area of front left shoulder and up the hill she went. found her about 30-40yrds away. he used my .223 Winchester model 70, my hand loads, hit her @100yrds.. shoulder achier and heart breaker. (i will get the video up later)

kai 2012 gun doe.JPG

here is one my buddy got north of Holdenville, saturday morning.....

JB gun buck 2012.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom